->''"Give me'' one ''thing guaranteed to make me less calm than inviting Arshad al-''[[PrecisionFStrike Fucking]]''-Stalin into my family."''
A British comedy released in 2010, that explores one of the most [[BlatantLies important and relevant]] questions of our time: what if, one day, you woke up and found that everything you thought you knew about yourself was a lie?
As the film opens our protagonist, Mahmud Nasir, is preparing to meet the stepfather of his son's fiancee Uzma, a radical cleric from Pakistan named Arshad al-Masri. In order to obtain Arshad's blessing for the marriage, Mahmud agrees to pretend to be a devout Muslim for a few days. There are only two problems with this arrangement. The first is that Mahmud has a history of not being particularly devout. The second is that he has just found out he was adopted and that his birth parents are Jewish.
Mahmud sets out to rediscover his identity and reconcile the two conflicting worlds that he now finds himself in, while simultaneously fending off the suspicions of, well, pretty much everybody. Thus, HilarityEnsues.
!This film contains examples of:
* AccentRelapse: When Mahmud is at the Bar Mitzvah celebration, he relapses into Arabic(?) whenever he gets too stressed.
* AllJewsAreAshkenazi: Averted, as Lenny himself found out when he moved to London and found out that even within that one city there are many different Jewish communities.
* BoomerangBigot: Lenny is something of a self-hating Jew. He also does not consider Israelis to be real Jews because they are not ashamed to be Jewish.
* DeathbringerTheAdorable: Mahmud's young daughter, who runs around with a scimitar and [[RefugeInAudacity chants extremist slogans]].
* [[spoiler:FakingTheDead: Arshad al-Masri used to be Gary Page, a former pop star whose career took a dive after he made a racist remark in public.]]
* TheFundamentalist: Arshad al-Masri is so prominently extremist he can get al-Qaeda to provide catering for his parties.
* GodwinsLaw: "Okay, a last runthrough of things not to mention: Hitler. ''[[Literature/TheProtocolsOfTheEldersOfZion Protocols of the Elders of Zion]]''. Hitler. [[ArsonMurderAndJaywalking The fact that you're actually Muslim]]."
* JewishComplaining: ''Of course''.
* JewsLoveToArgue: Well, they do. Very few scenes with Jewish characters in them do not have some kind of argument.
* MistakenForGay: After finding out he was born Jewish, Mahmud goes to ask the local Imam for guidance and eventually, word gets back to his wife that he might be gay.
* MistakenForRacist: Serves as a BrickJoke. Early in the film, Mahmud attends a pro-Palestinian rally where he burns a ''kippah'' and chants anti-Zionist slogans. This almost results in him being arrested later on for inciting hatred.
* StockForeignName: In the story itself, Mahmud's birth name, Solly Shimshillewitz. Lenny points out that his parents could have just called him Jewy Jewjewjewjew and gotten more or less the same effect.
* TrainingMontage: Played for laughs as Mahmud learns about dancing, [[YiddishAsASecondLanguage Yiddish]], griping, and much more in an attempt to pass for a Jew.
* YouHaveToBelieveMe: When he first finds out about Mahmud's parentage, Lenny laughs and demands to know why he should believe him. Mahmud simply responds, "Why should I make it up?" Lenny concedes that he has a point.