''The Incredible Shrinking Man'' is a movie based on the book by RichardMatheson titled ''The Shrinking Man''. In the movie, a man named Scott Carey is exposed to some type of dust cloud (generally assumed to be radioactive) and the result is that he begins to slowly shrink. It is considered one of the better shrinking movies because the script is considered intelligent and the science is a little more believable.
In 2015, the book had a comic adaptation from IDW Publishing (Creator), which was distributed in a 4 issue miniseries from July to October. It shares the title with the book and is closer in terms of story detail. Though the variant cover to Issue 3 uses the movie title.
!!!The Movie provides examples of:
* AdaptationDistillation: In the novel, Scott had a daughter. A couple other admissions from the movie:
** At 42 inches, Scott has some trouble with his car and hitches a ride with a guy. Problem is that [[spoiler: the guy believes Scott is a preteen kid and tries to hit on him.]]
** Scott has shrunken to about three feet tall when he encounters a group of boys. When they realize he's that "Shrinking Man" [[spoiler: they want to take his pants off to see if EVERY part of him had shrunk.]]
* AlasPoorVillain: During his monologue at the end of the film, Scott says that he understands that the spider was also just trying to survive.
* BittersweetEnding[=/=]DownerEnding: Mileage will vary on which one this is. Scott's voice-over monologue at the end has him accepting the inevitable and reaffirming that no matter how small he is, he will still matter in this universe. That doesn't change the fact that he will eventually shrink to ''atomic size'' or worse, that his wife assumes that their cat had eaten him.
* CatsAreMean: You just knew that the cat was going to try to eat poor Scott when he got small enough.
* GiantSpider: Technically, the spider is normal sized, it's Scott that's small, but from his POV, it ''is'' giant.
* HollywoodScience: Due to the SquareCubeLaw but may have been mildly averted; see below.
* HopeSpot: An antidote is found that stops his shrinking at three feet, and a friendship with a midget helps him realize that it's possible to live happily even at that size. [[spoiler:Then the antidote stops working.]]
* ILoveNuclearPower: As stated in the summary, the cloud is generally assumed to be radioactive.
* IncredibleShrinkingMan: The trope namer of course
* MagicPants: Completely averted. Scott's physical body gets smaller while his clothes don't. As a result, he is forced to wear children's clothes, doll clothes and the rags from his doll clothes.
* MouseWorld: From the scenes in the dollhouse to being chased by the cat, and finally being trapped in the cellar. In the cellar, this is the epitome of the Mouse World. Scott is forced to eat crumbs from a stale cake, live inside a match box and fight off a spider.
* SquareCubeLaw: Quite possibly averted because Scott ''slowly'' shrinks, thus giving his body a chance to adapt.