''The Hunter'' is a 2011 Australian film starring Creator/WillemDafoe. Dafoe plays Martin David, an agent of a mysterious organisation known as Red Leaf. He has been sent to Tasmania to illegally hunt down the last remaining Tasmanian tiger, intending to collect DNA samples, due to the alleged properties of the tiger's venom.
Along the way, he stays with a strange family, consisting of two children, Sass and Bike, and their mother, Lucy, who appears to be asleep most of the time. Their father, Jarrah, disappeared in the forest several months before. They are cared for by a family friend, Jack Mindy (Creator/SamNeill), who also offers to guide Martin around the forest.
Martin poses as a scientist looking to research the Tasmanian devil. He spends much of the film in the [[SceneryPorn Tasmanian wilderness]] laying traps for the elusive creature. However, things get ugly when the local townsfolk begin to suspect that he's up to something...
!!This film provides examples of:
* AlasPoorYorick:[[spoiler: Martin finds Jarrah's remains and holds the skull like this.]]
* AntiHero: Martin is a Type III.
* AvoidTheDreadedGRating: While the hunting scnes are grueling the film would probably be a pretty safe PG-13 if it wasn't for a liberal sprinkeling of F words.
* BearTrap: Martin sets many of these to catch the Tasmanian tiger.
* ChekhovsGun: Jarrah's metal water bottle, the steel traps.
* ClusterFBomb: Done casually by an ''eight year old girl'':
-->'''Sass''': Dad says the fucking fucker's fucked!
* CuteMute: Bike never speaks throughout the entire film.
* HeelFaceTurn: Martin, arguably, as he begins to care more for the family he is staying with than his mission [[spoiler: and then betrays the organisation he works for.]]
* InfantImmortality: [[spoiler:''Heartbreakingly'' averted.]]
* LastOfHisKind: The Tasmanian tiger, allegedly.
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: The look on Martin's face [[spoiler: right after he shoots the tiger.]]
* NeverFoundTheBody: Jarrah. [[spoiler: Subverted when Martin does eventually find his remains.]]
* SceneryPorn: The Tasmanian wilderness provides plenty.
* [[spoiler: [[ShootTheDog Shoot the Tiger]] ]].