''The Horse Whisperer'' is the name of a 1995 novel by Nicholas Evans and of a 1998 film adaptation of it. The latter was directed by RobertRedford. The main stars were Redford himself, KristinScottThomas and ScarlettJohansson.
The film begins on a winter morning, with teenagers Grace [=MacLean=] (Johansson) and Judith (KateBosworth) taking their horses for a ride. An accident involving an icy slope and a truck results in Judith and her horse being instantly killed. Grace and her horse, Pilgrim, survive but are badly injured. Grace loses part of her leg in the subsequent surgery.
Some time later, the duo have recovered as well as expected. Their bodies are healthy, but the resulting trauma is everpresent. Grace is bitter and withdrawn, Pilgrim wild and uncontrollable. Annie [=MacLean=] (Scott Thomas) senses that the two will have to recover together. She calls for Tom Booker (Redford), the titular horse whisperer.
The story explores both the recovery and the mutual attraction developed between the two adults. Which is confusing for them as Annie is still married and Tom is recovering from a divorce. The film received mixed reviews. While critics paised the "exquisitively crafted, morally and thematically mature picture", several felt it was overly long and dull. Nevertheless it was a box office hit, earning $186,883,563 worldwide. It earned $75,383,563 in the United States, the 27th most succesful film of its year.
!!This film provides examples of:
* HappyEnding and BittersweetEnding: The former for Grace, the latter for Annie.
* InUniverseCatharsis: The experience both Grace and Pilgrim undergo.
* LoveHurts: Both Annie and Tom fall for each other, Tom while he's still hurting after his past love died and Annie while she's married. Annie's strongly implied to love Tom even more than her husband but ends up abruptly leaving in the end, not wanting to hurt both their families. It ends with Tom watching her car drive away while on horseback on a hill, watching a woman he loves disappear from his life yet again.
* SparedByTheAdaptation: Tom Booker. [[spoiler: In the book, Tom Booker throws himself at a murderous wild stallion to solve Annie's choice between staying with her husband or going with Tom. Really, he does.]]
** GoodAdulteryBadAdultery in the book: Annie commits adultery because she's fallen in love with Tom Booker. The two of them are portrayed as nothing but sympathetic, despite the fact that Annie's deeply distressed daughter Grace is involved. Annie's husband is a nice guy and devoted family man. Tom [[spoiler:dies in order to save Grace's life in what could be construed as an act of RedemptionEqualsDeath]].
* SceneryPorn: Everything in Montana.
* YourCheatingHeart: Annie ends up falling for Tom, something her husband catches up on when he arrives.