''The Girl Next Door'' is a 2004 American teen film starring Creator/ElishaCuthbert, Emile Hirsch, and Creator/TimothyOlyphant, directed by Luke Greenfield, about an honor student who falls in love for the first time with his new beautiful next door neighbor Danielle, but finds the situation becoming complicated after he learns that she is a former porn star. Not to be confused with the 2007 film of the same name based on Creator/JackKetchum's novel ''Literature/TheGirlNextDoor''.
!!This film contains examples of:
* BigDamnKiss: When Matthew and Danielle share their first kiss. Matthew just takes charge and kisses Danielle; everything slows downs and they got lost in the moment.
* TheCameo: WWE wrestler Luther Reigns as a man at the porn convention.
** An abysmal sex education video from (apparently) the 1950s makes the heroes wonder why it's never been updated. What saves the day for them in the end? [[spoiler:Eli directing a modern, topical, and engrossing sex education video.]]
** The drawing Danielle makes Matthew when they first meet. [[spoiler:He eventually uses it to convince her how he really sees her]].
* DistractedByTheSexy: When Matthew sees Danielle for the first time, he walks into a trash can and knocks it over.
* DoubleStandardRapeFemaleOnMale: Played with. Danielle forces Matthew to strip naked and then steals his underwear, forcing him to run after the car fully nude. On the one hand she only did it because he watched her undress (and she ''didn't'' tell his parents) but on the other, would a man forcing a teenage girl to do this be PlayedForLaughs?
* EveryoneLovesBlondes: The sexy outlandish adult film actress Danielle has curly blond hair.
* GilliganCut: Matthew telling Daniel he is not taking his clothes off. It cuts to him standing in his underwear.
* GirlNextDoor: Danielle subverts the trope, being a porn actress played by Elisha Cuthbert.
* GirlOnGirlIsHot: When Matthew imagines Danielle making out with his mother, and later with her two friends in the limousine.
* HappilyEverAfter: The SealedWithAKiss ending for Matthew and Danielle makes this such.
* HollywoodNerd: Matthew and his friends.
* HookerWithAHeartOfGold: Well, porn star with a heart of gold.
* JerkAss: Danielle's ex, Kelly.
* NotWhatItLooksLike: The tape that Matthew, Danielle and the others filmed on prom night. [[spoiler: It was a sex-ed video, not porn.]]
* NerdsAreVirgins: While this isn't touched on in the film, the director's commentary mentions that Matthew is losing his virginity during his and Danielle's first time.
* OfficialCouple: Matthew and Danielle.
* SealedWithAKiss: Matthew and Danielle end the movie with a kiss.
* SexySoakedShirt: Invoked by Danielle who turns up on Klitzy's doorstep with a damp blouse (from being in the pool). "I'm all wet, can I come in?"
* ShamefulStrip: Danielle forces Matthew to strip in front of her. And then she steals his boxers and drives away with them (briefly).
* SmugSnake: Kelly.
* SpikyHair: Kelly. Notably when he's pretending to be a less-shady character in front of Matthew's parents, his hair is slicked down.
* TheirFirstTime: Matthew and Danielle have sex for the first time in a limo. In the director's commentary, Luke Greenfield describes it as follows: "This scene. My first love scene I have ever shot. Was a scene of loss of innocence. Matthew's losing his virginity and Danielle's making love for the very first time."
* ThrowingOutTheScript: Matthew appears to do this, but it's a subversion. While it appears this way to the audience (who think he's incredibly sweet), he actually has nothing written down. He'd been too busy slacking off (and, in fairness, falling in love and learning life lessons) to write the speech.
* WhatTheHellHero: "Is this what you think of me?"