''The Gate'' is a 1987 Cabadian horror movie directed by Tibor Takács and starring Stephen Dorff.
Three children are left home alone for the weekend. Through a set of contrived circumstances, they open a gate to hell in the backyard.
!! This movie provides examples of:
* DemonicPossession: Happens to the protagonists best friend partway through the movie.
* DraggedOffToHell: The protagonist's sister and friend. He has to rescue them.
* DreamIntro: The film opens with the main character walking into an eerie empty house, then climbing a tree which gets struck by lightning and falls down... And then he wakes up to the sound of the trees being cleared in the next lot.
* EyesDoNotBelongThere: The demons cause an eye to [[BodyHorror grown in the protagonist's hand]] at one point.
* HellGate: The centerpiece of the plot.
* JerkAss: All of the sisters friends are this to the younger boys.
* TheLegionsOfHell: Are mostly tiny devil things. At first...
* NotNowKiddo: Not too painfully played, but the older sister doesn't believe them at first.
* OurDemonsAreDifferent: Mostly small, hunchbacked gray imps with one huge, four armed sloth thing leading them. They also have more Lovecraftian themes surrounding them than Satanic ones.
* SeparatedFromTheAdults: The whole movie takes place while the parents are on vacation.
* ShapeshifterGuiltTrip: The demons appear as the parents seconds after they first arrive. They break their diguise before they even speak, but all they ever say is "YOU'VE BEEN BAAAAAD!".
* SubliminalSeduction: Inverted. The record is openly occult and is actually part of the coincidence that summons the demons. Playing it backwards provides the spell to banish them.