[[caption-width-right:318:Oh dear. [[ComicallyMissingThePoint That branch can't support both of their weights for long]].]]
'''''The Food of the Gods''''' is a horror film from the year 1976. It was directed by Creator/BertIGordon, so it naturally has people fighting against (badly done) giant things.
Loosely based on a Creator/HGWells novel ''The Food of the Gods and How It Came to Earth'',[[note]]as was his earlier film ''Film/VillageOfTheGiants''[[/note]] the film follows football player Morgan who, on a trip with his friends to an island near the British Columbia, encounters giant wasps which kill one of his friends. He later discovers that the insects got huge due to a weird substance which is bubbling from the ground and any offspring of whichever eats it will grow into giants. Unfortunately, rats have eaten the stuff and their litters are also growing into unusual sizes....
In 1989 the film got an InNameOnly sequel ''Film/FoodOfTheGods2''.
!!Munch on these examples:
* AmericanGothicCouple: Copy of the painting can be seen on Mrs. Miller's wall.
* BehindTheBlack: Shown in one scene when Mr. Skinner encounters the rats in the dark.
%%* ClosedCircle: The island.
%%* DeathByMaterialism: Jack Bensington's fate.
* EverythingsBetterWithCows: Normal sized cows appear at the end.
* EverythingsWorseWithBees: These "wasps" look more like mosquitos.
* ForcedPerspective: Most of the rat effects.
* FunWithAcronyms: The jars containing the size-altering substance are labeled as [[TitleDrop F.O.T.G.]]
* GaiasVengeance: Morgan mentions in the opening narration the time when his father warned him about this.
* HuddlePower: Shown in the opening football game.
* KillItWithFire: Morgan destroys the wasps by setting their nest on fire. The fire somehow vaporizes the whole thing without leaving anything behind.
* KillItWithWater: A dam is blown up to drown the rats who, due to their size, are unable to swim. It is notable that the dam is next to the ocean and water level on the island rises above ''the sea level''.
* PistolWhipping: Morgan kills the leader rat by bashing its brains in with the butt of his shotgun.
* TheSwarm: Of [[RodentsOfUnusualSize giant rats]].
* TerrifyingPetStoreRat: The superimposed rats playing the giant monsters mostly stare around as if they're looking for a treat. Dubbed in wildcat noises may help.
* TooDumbToLive: When our protagonists board up the house, they somehow forget ''the door''.
* TouchOfTheMonster: As seen above.
* TheXOfY: The film's title.