An indie film released in 2006 about a murdered woman and the stories of four other women as their lives come together because of her death.
''The Dead Girl'' is split up into five parts which are shown in the following order:
* ''The Stranger'' - [[ToniCollette Arden]], a woman with an [[AbusiveParents abusive mother]] finds the body in a field.
* ''The Sister'' - A coroner (Leah) who believes the body is her sister's, a girl who was [[NeverFoundTheBody abducted fifteen years before the start of the film]].
* ''The Wife'' - Ruth, a housewife who rents storage units, makes a troubling discovery about her husband.
* ''The Mother'' - Melora, the mother of the dead girl, deals with the aftermath of her daughter's death.
* ''The Dead Girl'' - The story of [[PosthumousCharacter the girl]], [[BrittanyMurphy Krista]], shortly [[HowWeGotHere before she is killed]].
!!This film provides examples of the following tropes:
** Arden's mother, who is invalid and psychologically and verbally abuses Arden. The events of the film finally give Arden the courage to leave.
** [[spoiler: Krista's]] step-father, who [[ParentalIncest molested her]] and was the driving force behind her running away from home as a teenager.
* BerserkButton: Don't use the Lord's name in vain around Ruth.
* BondageIsBad: Arden asks Rudy to tie her up and rape her in an attempt to emulate what happened to the dead girl. Rudy can't do it because he thinks it's creepy and weird.
* CallingTheOldManOut: Arden does this to her mother in ''The Stranger''.
* DestroyTheEvidence: Ruth ends up destroying all the trophies her husband (Carl) kept, setting them on fire and [[FanDisservice even taking off and burning her own clothes.]]
* DisposableSexWorker: Krista, although she's given an unusual amount of backstory, fits this trope to a T. She was [[spoiler: sexually abused by her step-father]], has an illegitimate child in someone else's care that she wants to connect with (but couldn't), and was just the last out of a string of prostitutes who were murdered by the same serial killer.
* HolierThanThou: Ruth, who is very religious and goes [[BerserkButton berserk]] when her husband uses the lord's name in vain.
* HookerWithAHeartOfGold: Krista is portrayed as one of these. She tries to give her daughter a gift on her birthday, but just can't muster up the courage.
* KickTheSonOfABitch: When Krista beats up Tony.
* MoodSwinger: He seems cowed and apathetic for most of ''The Wife'', but after being pushed a bit too far by Ruth, Carl shows his horrible temper.
* MommyIssues: A rare female version of the trope with Arden.
* NeverFoundTheBody: Leah's sister was abducted fifteen years ago, and Leah insists (to her mother!) that she was raped, murdered and dismembered and then hidden somewhere she'll never be found.
* PosthumousCharacter: 4/5ths of the film takes place after Krista's death.
* PromotionToParent: In a subversion, Krista's mother gets a second chance at parenthood when she discovers that Krista had a child of her own.
* RoomFullOfCrazy: Ruth finds the [[StalkerShrine clothes and identification]] of several murdered prostitutes in one of her "empty" storage units.
* SerialKiller: At the end of ''The Dead Girl'' you can see Krista getting into a truck with Ruth's husband.
* SoundtrackDissonance: The last part of ''The Mother'' has Melora singing ''SoundtrackDissonance/YouAreMySunshine'' to her granddaughter while she screams and cries in the bathtub.