A 2008 [[TheRemake remake]][[note]]co-produced by TwentiethCenturyFox and HammerheadProduction, amongst others[[/note]] of the 1951 scifi classic ''Film/TheDayTheEarthStoodStill1951''. It starred Keanu Reeves in the role of Klaatu.
This film replaces the heavy-handed anti-war SpaceWhaleAesop in the original with an equally heavy-handed GreenAesop. By making the aliens essentially eco-terrorists, it also removes much of the moral ambiguity and impact of the aesop.
!!This film provides examples of:
* [[AliensSpeakingEnglish Aliens Speaking Mandarin Chinese]]
* AliensStealCable: Used, but not thoroughly. Even though the aliens had been studying the Earth for a while, Klaatu had apparently never heard Bach before.
* AliensAreBastards: The aliens are committing genocide against a sentient race to protect a planet which is in no appreciable danger. Even if we wipe ourselves out life will go on, and [=CO2=] and methane scrubbing bacteria will come in and clean up after us. This is instead of just giving us better technology. They had to get to our level of technology, to get to theirs.
* ArtisticLicenseBiology: "His life-support suit was similar to a placenta." "That makes sense, because a placenta sustains life."
* AvengersAssemble: Gathering the team.
* BlueAndOrangeMorality: Presumably Klaatu's actions aren't as hypocritical to him as they are to us.
* BrokenAesop: We're destroying the other species on our planet, and aliens think that's bad. Fine. So why does Helen's love for Jacob change Klaatu's mind? A mother's love for a child of her own species, while charming, doesn't really show anything except a desire to perpetuate her species. It'd be more valid if she showed love for an animal, perhaps something [[WhatMeasureIsANonCute completely dissimilar to humans.]] Instead, ThePowerOfLove conquers all.
** Another problem is how, in the original, despite the distrust he faces, [[RousseauWasRight Klaatu still believes in human goodness]], whereas in the remake, Klaatu is as distrustful of humans as they are of him.
* TheCameo: Gurrak.
* CreepyMonotone: Klaatu speaks with very little, if any emotional inflection in his voice, making his revelation of what's in store for humanity all the more chilling.
* AFormYouAreComfortableWith: Klaatu's human form was grown within his placenta-like spacesuit to allow him to survive on Earth. He states that his true form "would only frighten [humans]".
* FunWithAcronyms: The US government decides Klaatu's robot buddy is '''G'''enetically '''O'''rganized '''R'''obotic '''T'''echnology--apparently, just having Klaatu ''say'' "Gort" at some point wasn't remakey enough.
* GoryDiscretionShot: We never see anyone getting totally disintegrated by the [[spoiler:metal insects that make up Gort]]. The worst we see is a technician get a nosebleed and then fall over dead.
* GratuitousForeignLanguage: Mandarin Chinese. Keanu Reeves tries really hard, but still doesn't get it quite right.
* GreyGoo: How GORT was going to wipe out humanity.
* HumanityOnTrial: Klaatu had authority to judge Earth. In the original, Klaatu's mission parameters exclusively covered delivering the message. The message being that humanity could either join the galactic civilization or stay on Earth. If we stayed on Earth, then we would be left alone. But if we decided to join, then we would be expected to obey their rules, and be annihilated unless we gave up our warlike ways.
* KnightTemplar: Klaatu.
* LoweredMonsterDifficulty: for certain values of "monster"
* NoConservationOfEnergy: The space ship must have had some nice [[AppliedPhlebotinum phlebotinum]] to decelerate that fast without creating enough waste heat to completely level the UN.
* ProductPlacement: So blatant that it's distracting.
* TheRemake: Of ''Film/TheDayTheEarthStoodStill1951''.
* SpheroidDropship: In the place of the classic movie's FlyingSaucer.
* TheSwarm: The metal insects that comprise GORT.
* YouWontFeelAThing: Speaking about [[TheEndOfTheWorldAsWeKnowIt the end of the human race]], Klaatu says "the pain will only be momentary."