'''''Curse of the Werewolf''''' is a 1961 film from Terence Fisher. Surprisingly, this is the only werewolf movie produced in the entire run of HammerHorror films. Based on the book ''Literature/TheWerewolfOfParis'' by Guy Endore, the movie changes the setting to Spain. Notable for the heavy tones of melodrama and emotional conflict.
Born on Christmas day, Leon is the child of a poor serving girl [[ChildByRape raped]] by a mad beggar (who himself was driven insane by a nobleman's cruelty). As he grows up, it appears that Leon inherited a terrible curse from the tragic circumstances of his conception, and only true love may be able to save him.
!!The film contains examples of these tropes:
* AristocratsAreEvil: The root of the curse is the Marquis' needless cruelty.
* BloodierAndGorier: Though more tame than most of Hammer's other movies from the period.
* ChekhovsGun: The silver bullet.
* ComicBookAdaptation: The film was adapted into comci book form in the pages of ''The House of Hammer'', issue 10.
* DisposableSexWorker: Leon stops by a brothel on the night of the full moon. This goes about as well as you would expect.
* DownerEnding: Well, it's a werewolf movie, what do ''you'' think happens at the end?
* HammerHorror: Strangely, the studio's ''only'' werewolf movie.
* HappilyAdopted: Leon is actually quite happy with his "Aunt" and "Uncle." His problems lie with his natural parents...
* HollywoodDarkness: Noticeable "Day For Night" filters employed.
* NotEvenBotheringWithTheAccent: These Spaniards all seem to speak [[TheQueensLatin the Queen's Spanish.]]
* OurWerewolvesAreDifferent: As the title suggest, Leon becomes a werewolf because of a vaguely defined curse arising from the tragedy and cruelty of his conception. There is also the suggestion that the PowerOfLove may cure a werewolf.
** That he was born on Christmas also plays into it, which actually was a way in mythology that people thought one could be born a werewolf.
* ThePowerOfLove: The only thing that can cure a werewolf.
* [[TheQueensLatin The Queen's Spanish.]]
* RaceLift: The book was set in France but this adaptation is set in Spain, making most of the character's dark-skinned Spaniards.
* RapeAsDrama: Leon [[ChildByRape is conceived]] when the mad beggar rapes the serving girl. The Marquis also tries to force himself on her.
* SuicideByCop: Attempted. Leon confesses to the murders and ''begs'' to be executed before he kills again.
* TorchesAndPitchforks: In the end the werewolf is pursued by an angry mob in a scene very reminiscent of ''Literature/TheHunchbackOfNotreDame''.