%% Image selected per Image Pickin' thread: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=1330235957032709900
%% Please do not change or remove without starting a new thread.
A 1992 film starring Creator/KevinCostner and Music/WhitneyHouston. Costner plays former Secret Service agent and freelance bodyguard Frank Farmer, hired to protect superstar singer-turned-actress Rachel Marron (Houston) after she starts getting death threats. They initially dislike each other, but despite his better judgement, feelings start to develop between them.
Originally written by Creator/LawrenceKasdan for Steve [=McQueen=] and Diana Ross in TheSeventies, the project was taken up by Costner fifteen years later. This film was a huge success, as was the soundtrack, which sold in the bazillions (it's widely considered to be the top selling movie soundtrack ''of all time''), all fueled by the unbelievable popularity of Houston's rendition of "I Will Always Love You," [[CoveredUp originally]] by DollyParton. In addition, the movie's instrumental music was marvelously done by Creator/AlanSilvestri (and finally released on its own album a mere ''21 years'' later).
!!This film provides examples of the following tropes:
* AbsurdlySharpBlade: Frank has a [[KatanasAreJustBetter katana]] which cuts Rachel's scarf in half just by the scarf floating down onto the blade.
* AlliterativeName: Frank Farmer.
* AwardBaitSong: "I Will Always Love You". Didn't win any Oscars (and was ineligible for the Oscar anyway because it was originally written 20 years before by Music/DollyParton), but Houston's version won the big two Grammys.
* BadassNormal: Frank. Rachel even [[LampshadeHanging points this out]] when first interviewing him, saying that he doesn't look much like a bodyguard.
* BlackDudeDiesFirst: When Henry, Rachel's chauffeur, reacts with incredulity that Frank's adding to his duties, Frank tells him that in his experience, when shit goes down, the client's usually okay. "Who gets shot? The cocky black chauffeur." That [[ScareEmStraight gets his attention]].
* [[spoiler: CainAndAbel: Rachel's sister Nikki was the one who put the hit on her in the first place.]]
* DefeatEqualsFriendship: Tony attacks Frank after Frank gets Rachel away without telling him. Frank's abilities in GoodOldFisticuffs and with throwing knives gets him to back down. Later in the film, it's shown that Tony is more than willing to listen to what Frank has to say and even points out Rachel's would-be-assassin to Frank at the Oscars.
* [[spoiler: DidNotGetTheGirl: The movie ends with Rachel and Frank parting ways after he successfully protects her from her would-be killer.]]
* GreenEyedMonster: Rachel's sister Nikki is envious of the former's success. [[spoiler: It is later revealed that she hired a hitman to kill her. But even after she sours on the idea when the hitman turns out to be willing to kill Rachel's son to get close to her, there isn't much Nikki can do since she doesn't know who the hitman is.]]
* HeroicBSOD: Frank suffered one of these when Reagan got shot while he wasn't there. He went to his father's cabin for the next six months. Time heals all wounds, but he's still never really gotten over it.
* HeroicSacrifice[=/=]TakingTheBullet: [[spoiler:Frank jumps in the way of the would-be assassin's bullet at the Academy Awards, preventing the shots from hitting Rachel. And then he kills the guy before finally succumbing to unconsciousness. He doesn't die, however.]]
* LastNameBasis: Rachel usually calls Frank "Farmer".
* LyricalDissonance: While dancing with him to the country version of "I Will Always Love You", Rachel points out to Frank that the lyrics to the verses are quite sad, in contrast to the simple "I will always love you" statement in the chorus. He listens for a moment, and then chuckles and agrees, admitting he'd never noticed that before.
** TruthInTelevision: The song is often requested at weddings, and the band or DJ has to inform the couple that it's a break-up song and not the best way to start off their marriage.
* ProperlyParanoid: This is pretty much Frank's main personality trait.
* RedHerring: Several.
* StalkerWithACrush: '''''DAN.''''' And he's ''extremely'' creepy, to boot.
* TheStoic: Frank.