'''''The Apparition''''' is a 2012 horror film starring Ashley Greene, Sebastian Stan, and Tom Felton. It opens with a group of college students attempting to resume a parapsychology experiment from the 1970s, in which a deceased researcher was successfully contacted. After the experiment meets with seemingly disastrous results, the focus abruptly shifts to a young couple who soon begin to suspect that something is very wrong within their brand new home.
!!This film includes examples of the following tropes:
* ApocalypticLog: Patrick obsessively makes audio and video recordings of his struggles against the creature.
* AlienGeometries: [[spoiler:The Apparition pulls this on Kelly, trapping her inside the room she has just nailed shut. However, it is also stated that the Apparition can confuse its victims about what is real so it is possible that Kelly was nailing the door from the wrong side all along and simply wasn't allowed to see it until it was too late.]]
* TheCallKnowsWhereYouLive: Moving to the desert and getting a new job and girlfriend does not keep the monster's attention away from [[spoiler:Ben.]]
* ChekhovsGun: The [[spoiler: tent.]] [[spoiler: Twice.]]
* ClapYourHandsIfYouBelieve: Patrick has built a machine that amplifies peoples' belief in spirits to test the theory that belief is what allows them to enter our world.
* CreepyChild: [[spoiler: "YOUR HOUSE KILLED MY DOG!"]]
* CreepyDoll: The effigy of Dr. Reamer, particularly after it gets shattered and fused back together.
* DarkWorld: The destination of the Apparition's victims is apparently a [[spoiler:washed-out, empty version of our own reality.]]
* DownerEnding: The film ends with [[spoiler: Kelly trapped in the aforementioned [[DarkWorld Dark World]]; friendless, but [[RightBehindMe not alone.]]]]
* EldritchAbomination: According to Patrick, this is what [[spoiler: the entity]] actually is.
* HopeSpot: When Ben and Kelly reach Patrick's safe house. [[spoiler: Except the power starts to flicker, almost as soon as they're inside it, enabling the entity to enter as well.]]
* MadScientist: Patrick.
* NeverTrustATrailer: The movie's trailer has more of a plot than the finished film does - implying the evil whatsit will only attack people once they start believing in it, an interesting concept not present in the movie.
* NiceJobBreakingItHero: Each of Patrick's attempts to dispell the creature come down to trying the same thing only with more power. Each time the entity just comes back stronger and more aggressive.
* NothingIsScarier: ''The Apparition'' is actually kind of a misleading title...
* ProductPlacement: Early in the film, the character go to a Costco-like shopping center, and later Kelly returns to it to try and hide.
* TrailersAlwaysSpoil: Literally. Both the trailer and the movie poster depict the [[spoiler: very last shot of the film.]]
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: The neighbor and his daughter, who simply stop appearing halfway through the film.
* WhatTheHellHero: Kelly's reaction when she finds out about [[spoiler: Ben's]] past.
* WrongGenreSavvy: Patrick's scientific theories would probably work brilliantly if he were in the [[spoiler: GhostStory]] he thinks he is. Unfortunately for everyone involved, he doesn't realize until far too late that it is actually a [[spoiler: CosmicHorrorStory.]]