''The Affair Of The Necklace'' is a 2001 movie set in 18th Century France and based on historical events, starring HilarySwank, Jonathan Pryce, Creator/ChristopherWalken, Simon Baker, Creator/AdrienBrody, Joely Richardson and Brian Cox.
Jeanne de Saint-Rémy de Valois (HaydenPanettiere as a child, Swank as an adult) is orphaned as a young girl and determined to restore the wealth and privilege that was lost to her family; Marie Antoinette (Richardson) refuses to help her, so she - along with Rétaux de Villette (Baker) and her husband Nicolas (Brody) - set out to get it via other means. The necklace of the title was intended by King Louis XV for his mistress Madame du Barry, but he passed away before she could have it; the jewellers later tried to sell it to Marie Antoinette, but she refused. Jeanne's plan involves subterfuge to acquire the necklace and its jewels for herself and her conspirators, with unfortunate consequences - FrenchRevolution-level unfortunate - for all concerned...
!!This film provides examples of:
* ATasteOfTheLash: Happens to the countess.
* ArtifactOfDoom: The titular diamond necklace.
* CorruptTheCutie: Jeanne is painfully naive at first but having her legitimate request ignored and Retaux's influence corrupt her.
* CountryMouse: Jeanne when she first arrives in Versailles is said to be unsophisticated and unfashionable.
* DancesAndBalls: After all it is the time of Marie Antoinette.
* DeadlyDecadentCourt: To the point where the peasant had enough and chopped their heads off.
* DirtyOldMonk: The Cardinal starts to lust after the queen.
* DisproportionateRetribution: Queen Marie Antoinette ignores Jeanne's overtures of friendship and Jeanne implicates the queen in a scandal.
* GenreSavvy: Initially Marie Antoinette had refused to purchase the necklace because of its reputation. Too bad it did not save her.
* FluffyFashionFeathers: All the fashionable and elegant ladies of Versailles wear them. Including Jeanne as her fortunes improve.
* HorribleJudgeOfCharacter: The Cardinal believes Jeanne when she says she is a confidante of the queen. He also listens to his occultist.
* ImpoverishedPatrician: Jeanne
* LadyInRed: Adult Jeanne appears in a red dress during Marie Antoinette's performance in the Petit Trianon. While Retaux is intrigued the ladies of the court dismiss the dress as unfashionable.
* NeverMyFault: Jeanne seems to have this mindset, Marie Antoinette calls her out on it.
* NiceJobBreakingItHero: Jeanne's plot eventually snowballed into the revolution.
* NothingPersonal: After her deception is discovered Jeanne tells Marie Antoinette that she never meant to harm her. The queen is visibly irritated.
* TheQueensLatin: Although set in France, most of the principals speak with English accents.
* RageAgainstTheReflection: Marie Antoinette hurls a vase toward a mirror when Cardinal de Rohan is found innocent by the parliament.
* RoyalBlood: Jeanne is of the royal house of Valois. The Cardinal also is a prince of the house of Rohan.
* WomanInBlack: Jeanne wears black dresses often. Also Marie Antoinette in a few scenes.
* WomanInWhite: A few of Marie Antoinette's outfits.
* YourCheatingHeart: Nicholas is a noted womanizer, and Jeanne cheats on him Retaux.