[[caption-width-right:300:[[EarWorm We're gonna take a walk outside today]]]]
''The Adventures of Milo and Otis'' (or ''Koneko Monogatari'' meaning "A Kitten's Story" in it's original Japanese) is a 1986 film (released in 1989).
Milo is a curious orange kitten whose best friend is a serious pug named Otis. They live a carefree life on a farm where they spend their days playing hide-and-seek and causing mischief. All that changes though when Milo is swept away by the river and Otis must embark on an amazing journey to rescue his friend and bring him home.
!!This film provides examples of:
* [[AllAnimalsAreDogs All Animals are Cats]]: When Milo and Otis first meet and Otis explains that he's a dog, Milo thinks "dog" is a type of cat.
* BabiesEverAfter: [[spoiler: Both Milo and Otis end up with mates and a litter, and the film ends with both families resuming their journey back to the farm where Milo and Otis grew up.]]
* BearsAreBadNews: Milo and Otis encounter several bears on their adventures.
* CatsAreMean: Averted. The movie was extensively reworked from its original Japanese release, but the protagonist cat, Milo, is portrayed as good-natured and curious, and even his occasional mischievous moments are generally endearing rather than off-putting. He's also best friends with a dog.
* CunningLikeAFox: The fox that both Milo and Otis meet on separate occasions appears to be crafty and fun-loving (although Milo does outsmart him).
* CuteKitten: Milo.
* DownOnTheFarm: The first portion of the movie takes place on a farm where both Milo and Otis are born.
* TheHomewardJourney: Milo gets lost down the river and Otis follows to rescue him. They spend the rest of the film trying to get home.
* IWillFindYou: Once Milo gets lost, Otis embarks on a relentless journey to rescue him.
* InevitableWaterfall: Milo goes down one in a box.
* InterspeciesAdoption: Milo and Otis take a lesson in responsibility when they raise a baby chicken at the beginning of the film.
* InterspeciesFriendship: Milo and Otis. Most animals are portrayed as friendly cross-species except for [[BearsAreBadNews bears,]] [[OminousOwl screech owls,]] seagulls, and crabs.
* IncomingHam: When Otis encounters the Fox.
* LaughablyEvil: The bears. Despite being...well, freakin' bears, they keep getting outsmarted by a cat and a pug. One even gets a bowling ball dropped on his head!
* MessyPig: Baby pigs have terrible table manners.
* MissedHimByThatMuch: Several places Otis visits are places that Milo had just left.
* OddFriendship: Dogs and cats ''can'' be friends. Awww...
* OminousOwl: There's a scene in the treetops at nighttime where Milo talks with a horned owl with glowing eyes who pops out of nowhere. Though he is friendly, he is needless to say quite terrifying for younger children. The screech owls he warns Milo about, however, aren't quite so friendly.
* PreciousPuppy: Otis.
* RedOniBlueOni: Wild, carefree Milo is Red; proper, responsible Otis is Blue.
* SceneryPorn: In the gorgeous Japanese countryside.
* SleepCute: Milo and Otis, Milo and the deer.
* SwampsAreEvil: [[MeaningfulName Deadwood Swamp]] is a desolate, terrible place.
* ThirdWheel: Milo and Otis spend the whole movie looking for each other traveling over harsh terrain and fighting off dangerous predators, finally being reunited near the end. Only to have Milo meet up with a female cat and then the two of them unwittingly snub poor Otis.