A 1988 film starring JodieFoster based on the real-life gang rape of Cheryl Araujo that occurred at Big Dan's Bar in New Bedford, Massachusetts, on March 6, 1983. ''The Accused'' was one of the first Hollywood films to deal with rape in a direct manner.
Foster won an AcademyAward for her role.
* ExpositoryHairstyleChange: Sarah cuts off her hair shortly after the rape.
* FanDisservice: Jodie Foster wears a low-cut top and does a sexy dance... then gets brutally gang-raped.
* FlashBack: The rape scene is shown this way, visualizing what the college boy witness tells the court at the second trial.
* FreakOut: Sarah after running into one of the guys who cheered the rapists on and he verbally abuses her ("Wanna play some pinball?"). She reacts by driving her car into his truck several times.
* GoodVictimsBadVictims: Explored. Sarah is not seen as a good victim due to her flirty nature and pot smoking.
* JerkAss: Sarah's boyfriend could count as one, asking her when she'll "get over this" after she dismisses his advances. Also, the guy with the scorpion tattoo who cheered the rapists on.
* MeanCharacterNiceActor: The guys playing the rapists were disturbed during shooting the rape scene; Jodie Foster had to reassure them repeatedly that she's okay.
* RaceLift: Arajuo and her attackers were all Portuguese-American in RealLife, not so in the film.
* RippedFromTheHeadlines: The script was loosely based on the gang rape of [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheryl_Araujo Cheryl Ann Araujo]], which occurred in 1983.
* SkewedPriorities: The emergency service operator seemed more concerned with getting the spectator's name than listening him to explain what the problem was. While attempting to get a caller's name is a reasonable action, if it becomes clear they aren't going to divulge it, it seems as if an emergency operator should move on and focus on the reason behind the call, especially when the call is recorded and made on a traceable phone.
* SlutShaming: Sarah is blamed for her rape due to her clothing and flirty behavior