->''"You think I'm crazy? Well, listen up: there's a storm coming like nothing you've ever seen, and not a one of you is prepared for it."''
-->--'''[[MadOracle Curtis LaForche]]'''
2011 film written and directed by Creator/JeffNichols and starring Creator/MichaelShannon and Creator/JessicaChastain.
A construction worker in Elyria, Ohio named Curtis [=LaForche=] begins having apocalyptic dreams about a terrible storm. At first dismissing them as being from stress, the dreams become more and more intense. Worried about the welfare of his family, Curtis begins a paranoid project of expanding the storm shelter in his backyard.
However, Curtis's mother is schizophrenic. Realizing that he might be manifesting symptoms of her disease, he starts seeing doctors about possible entering treatment. Torn between an unshakeable conviction that something terrible is about to happen, and the fear that he might be going crazy, Curtis's life begins to fall apart.
!!This film contains examples of:
* AloneWithThePsycho: In the storm shelter, Curtis' interactions with his wife take on this tone when she repeatedly asks him to open the shelter and he repeatedly refuses.
* AnxietyDreams: The mundane explanation.
* BadDreams: How it all started.
* BookEnds: The movie begins and ends with the "motor oil" rain falling and a massive storm coming.
* BringMyBrownPants: Curtis wets himself during a particularly intense dream. You can't blame him.
* CassandraTruth: [[spoiler:Curtis was right all along, if you believe that the final scene is real]].
* CatapultNightmare: Curtis has two of these.
** The storm shelter. You know it's going to get used at some point.
** [[UsefulNotes/SignedLanguage The "storm" sign]] gives viewers a hint as to what's upcoming in the final scene.
* CrazySurvivalist: Curtis begins to show shades of this when he secures a risky loan just to buy an expensive shipping container, all in order to expand the shelter in his backyard.
* DreamingOfThingsToCome: Curtis isn't sure if his dreams are an example of this trope, or just him going mad. It doesn't help that his dreams are seemingly apocalyptic, featuring oily rain and people driven mad.
* DysfunctionalFamily: Curtis's family, to some degree. His mother is in a mental hospital and his brother is estranged from him.
* TheEndingChangesEverything: If you subscribe to the ending-is-real theory.
* TheFaceless: The faces of strangers in Curtis's dreams are always blurry or obscured.
* FaceYourFears: Curtis' wife pushing him to overcome his fear and open the door to the shelter.
* FlippingTheTable: Happens during Curtis' fight with his colleague at the Lions Club supper.
* GainaxEnding: [[spoiler:Did Curtis's nightmares come true, or was it just another nightmare?]]
* IAmNotMyFather: Curtis knows that he might be schizophrenic, but he wants to try to keep it under control so that he doesn't abandon his family like his mother did after a complete breakdown.
* LeftHanging: [[spoiler: The ending is ambiguous. We don't know if Curtis was sane all along and an actual prophet or if he's just having one last nightmare. If the storm is real, does the family survive? And if not, does Curtis ever get well? Everything is left open and unresolved.]]
* MadOracle: Curtis has what seems to be prophetic dreams and has several signs of schizophrenia. The question is whether he's mad, an oracle, or both.
* MaybeMagicMaybeMundane: Is Curtis having prophetic dreams about a future calamity? Or is he just going insane, falling victim to schizophrenia just like his mother? The end of the movie [[spoiler:suggests that his dreams were real, but it might just be another dream]].
* MindVirus: Some of Curtis's dreams show shades of this, with the survivors of the storm becoming inexplicably hostile towards him and his family. He even has a dream of his wife becoming "infected" by the storm, with the dream implying that she would try to stab him.
* MundaneMadeAwesome: Curtis throwing open the shelter door into blinding white white sunshine is a breakthrough for his character.
* NoAntagonist: The hero has to face himself.
* ProperlyParanoid: Curtis sees himself as this when he begins digging up his backyard to expand their storm shelter. Everyone else thinks he's gone nuts.
* ReluctantPsycho: Curtis believes that his nightmares are probably the result of schizophrenia, but he cannot stop himself ruining his family life by taking precautions should they be real.
* TheSchizophreniaConspiracy: Curtis's mother is explicitly stated to have Paranoid Schizophrenia. Curtis is worried that maybe he has it too, though even he realizes that he only fits a few of the symptoms (not enough for a full diagnosis).
* AStormIsComing: TheMovie.
* ThroughTheEyesOfMadness: We see everything through Curtis's eyes, including his frequent nightmares and hallucinations.
* VomitIndiscretionShot: Curtis has a panic attack at work from phantom thunderclaps, causing him to vomit and flee.
* YouHaveToBelieveMe: At first Curtis tries to hide his fears because he knows everyone will assume he's crazy. Eventually, though, he has a full-blown outburst at a work event, resulting in the page quote above.