[[caption-width-right:270: Estelle Getty [[SeanConneryIsAboutToShootYou Is About To Shoot You]]!]]
->''"[M]aybe one of the worst films in the entire solar system, including alien productions we've never seen."''
-->--'''Sylvester Stallone''''s blurb on the film
Sgt. Joseph Andrew "Joe" Bomowski (Creator/SylvesterStallone) is a tough UsefulNotes/LosAngeles detective leading an antisocial existence. His relationship with his on-again, off-again girlfriend and precinct supervisor Lt. Gwen Harper is on the rocks. He is thus dismayed when his meddling, mind-numbingly annoying mother Tutti (Estelle Getty from ''Series/TheGoldenGirls'') pays him a surprise visit from Newark.
From the second she sets foot off the plane, she's driving him round the bend; showing embarrassing pictures of him and telling embarrassing stories about him to everyone on the plane and at the police station, insisting he eat a three course meal for breakfast, tucking him in and singing him a lullaby at night, and generally treating him as though he's seven years old. When she cleans the barrel of his gun with a pipe cleaner and thus ruins it, she heads to the hood to buy him a new one. Failing to get one legitimately from a gun store, she buys one illegally. In the process, she witnesses a homicide. She gives false information to the police about the homicide, instead letting Joe take the case on all by himself so he can get a promotion, to his chagrin. She insists on accompanying as he investigates it, to his even greater chagrin.
This 1992 comedy is considered to be one of the low points of Stallone's film career, and as the quote above demonstrates is a source of OldShame for him.
!!This film provides examples of:
* AmazinglyEmbarrassingParents: Played to a "T", [[EmbarrassingOldPhoto embarrassing old photos]] and everything.
** Tutti washes Joe's gun like it's a dish, ruining it, and playfully wakes him up by pointing it at him.
** Joe himself is almost just as bad, leaving his gun belt in his laundry instead of locking it up, especially when is overbearing mother is visiting.
* ImagineSpot: Joe imagining his mother come after him with a huge pack of diapers and an oversized bottle of talcum powder.
* KarmaHoudini: Tutti doesn't get arrested for buying an illegal fire arm, withholding information of a shooting, and repeatedly intruding on a police investigation.
* LuckyTranslation: The Latin American Spanish title of the movie managed to get a very lucky pun on the title of the movie: ¡'''Para''', o mi mamá dis'''para'''!. On the other hand, the European Spanish one translated the title as ''¡Alto! O mi madre dispara'' (Stop! Or my ''Mother'' Will Shoot) which uses a more polite version of the same phrase.
%%* MyBelovedSmother: The whole plot.
* ObstructiveVigilantism: The titular mom is not telling all the details so that her son can investigate.
* RecklessGunUsage: After an evening of horribly misguided attempted gun maintenance, Tutti wakes up her son by pointing the gun at his face and saying "[[Film/SuddenImpact Go ahead...make your bed.]]"
* TalkingDownTheSuicidal: Tutti manages to do this early on in the film, much to Joe's chagrin, when she comes to the scene a of suicide jumper who wishes to speak with his mother.
* TitleDrop: Stallone says "Stop! Or my mom will shoot!" during a shootout at a warehouse.