Filmed in 1976, ''Squirm'' is the tale of a LoveTriangle between: Geri, a country girl, Mick, the city boy who wants to "examine her antiques," and Roger the local boy who's dissatisfied with his lot in life. More importantly, it's about the gigantic swarm of [[LightningCanDoAnything electricity-maddened]] earthworms that seek to tear them apart...literally.
It was directed by Jeff Lieberman, who also did the [[DontGoInTheWoods backwoods]] slasher ''Film/JustBeforeDawn'', drugsploitation flick ''Film/BlueSunshine'' and ''Film/SatansLittleHelper''.
For the ''Series/MysteryScienceTheater3000'' version, please go to the [[Recap/MysteryScienceTheater3000S10E12Squirm episode recap page]].
!!''Squirm'' provides examples of:
%%* AbhorrentAdmirer: Roger for Geri.
* AnnoyingYoungerSibling: Alma is constantly making snide remarks to her older sister. Roger also gets his share of mean comments.
* AntiClimax: The power lines were repaired so the worms just kind of go away.
* ArtMajorBiology: Needless to say electrocuting an earthworm will not turn it into a psychotic monster that tries to kill everything in its path. Also, unlike their cousins the bloodworms, they generally don't have teeth...or let out high-pitched screams.
* AttackOfTheKillerWhatever: The squirming worms in question are called bloodworms, whose bite can be painful to humans. Their ranks also seem to include common earthworms as well.
* BehindTheBlack: Geri walks down a hallway and right into the arms of the worm-faced Roger, who was standing the middle of the hallway, but just offscreen.
* BeingTorturedMakesYouEvil: Roger was pretty unhinged before, but being infested with bitey worms that crawl under his skin seems to have driven him completely off his nut.
* ChekhovsGun: As Alma smokes pot, she accidentally falls inside the open chest which she was sitting on. [[spoiler:When the wave of worms threaten to swallow her, she hides in there and reveals herself to be alive in the ending]].
* CorruptHick: The Sheriff would rather make time with a local waitress than listen to some random, trouble-making city boy tell him about murderous, mutated worms who've killed several citizens - and actually, when you put it like that it's sorta hard to blame him.
* CreepyChild: ''I can hear the dark/If I listen hard...''
* DeepSouth: VERY much so.
* DumbMuscle: Roger is ''clearly'' lacking in mental faculties, but he's just as plainly capable of snapping Mick in two on his knee.
* FailedASpotCheck: Essentially the only way the worms or Roger could ever actually kill anyone.
* FishOutOfWater: Mick, a college boy from a big city visiting a Deep South town, which is mistrustful to strangers.
* HeroesWantRedheads: And they can ''have'' each other.
* IdentificationByDentalRecords: Mick breaks into a dentist's office to determine if the skull that he is holding really is Mr. Beardsley's.
** Mick walking half a mile to the rice mill and carrying back plywood with his bare hands instead of just using the station wagon for transport.
** Less dramatically, he expects to walk into a diner in the Deep South & be able to order a proper egg cream when there's no power, and thus no refrigeration.
* ImprovisedUmbrella: A man is briefly seen at the beginning of the film running through a thunderstorm using a newspaper as an umbrella.
* IronicNurseryTune: ''Watching in the garden/Waiting in the yard...''
* MusicalSpoiler: The end credits song plays on the radio when Geri first gets home with Mick.
* NoisyNature: Who knew worms could roar?
* PoliceAreUseless: The sheriff is immediately antagonistic towards city boy Mick, and while he humors him and Geri and follows them to the first body (which goes missing), he then refuses to lift a finger for anything after that, even when they barge in saying that they know who the first victim is and that they've found another (and also that Roger was injured and has gone missing).
* SanitySlippage: Geri's and Alma's mom isn't all there at the ''start'' of the picture, and she just keeps getting worse throughout.
%%* SayMyName: "Mr. Beardsley?"
* ShowerScene: Geri has one and attempts to have a second later, but the water doesn't come out.
* StalkerWithACrush: Roger, convincingly and disturbingly so.
* TheSwarm: The worms in the climax are a sea of squirming and all-devouring little bodies.
* TooDumbToLive: When night comes and the worms invade the diner, a diner patron very blatantly grabs the girl next to him and ''hurls himself and her'' into the mass of worms.
%%* UnluckyChildhoodFriend: Roger.
* UnusualEuphemism: "Now ''you're'' going to be the worm-face!"
* TheWormThatWalks: Roger sort of becomes one as he gets more and more worms under his skin.
->''Whisp'ring in my keyhole:/"I know you're in there..."''