In this 1993 British comedy written by Creator/EricIdle of Creator/MontyPython fame, Tommy Patel (played by Idle) is an average man living in West London with a Hindi family. An American by the name of Henry Martin ([[spoiler:Bullock]]; played by Creator/RickMoranis) visits from New York and he and Tommy have a night on the town, leading to Tommy's firing.
When the 14th Duke dies from falling off of his yacht, brought upon by the family curse, Henry becomes the 15th Duke and hires Tommy back, but after attending the former 14th Duke's funeral, Tommy learns from Mrs. Patel that ''he'' was adopted after accidentally being left behind in a restaurant as a baby, and that he's the real Duke!
Tommy searches for evidence to prove his birthright and has an affair with a beautiful model named Kitty (Creator/CatherineZetaJones). When Tommy finds out that Kitty is Henry's fiancée, Tommy attempts to do away with Henry in order to claim his rightful position as the 15th Duke, causing [[HilarityEnsues hilarity to ensue]] in the process!
!!Provides Examples Of:
* CloudCuckoolander: Henry might have shades of this, considering that he is often seen on roller-skates, and he wasn't aware of Tommy's attempts at killing him.
* EthicalSlut: Henry's fiancée [[spoiler:(and later in the movie, wife)]] Kitty, as she says that "sex before marriage is exciting" after having an affair with Tommy. [[spoiler:Since Kitty's aware that Tommy was trying to kill Henry, she tells Tommy that she's pregnant with his (actually Henry's) baby to keep her husband safe.]]
* EverythingsLouderWithBagpipes: Tommy's clumsy attempt to establish an alibi by drawing attention to his presence on a train back to England from France, includes playing La Marseillaise on the bagpipes.
* TheFool: Henry, at times.
* HeadTiltinglyKinky: Henry's reaction to the striptease dance at his stag night.
* HeliumSpeech: On Tommy's 4th on-screen attempt to get Henry out of the way, he puts helium in Henry's scuba tank, making the latter speak in a squeaky voice.
* KarmaHoudini: Shadgrind (Creator/JohnCleese), who causes the deaths of several bystanders in an attempt to bump Henry off almost gets his comeuppance [[spoiler: when an escaped cougar lunges at him as he's escaping.]] However [[spoiler: before he can be maimed, he is inexplicably saved by [[ItMakesSenseInContext some French bicyclists in an upside down car.]] The epilogue then states how he became a Hollywood producer.]]
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: [[spoiler: When Tommy believes he's finally killed Henry, but he hasn't, because it was AllJustADream.]] However, in actuality, [[spoiler: Mrs. Bullock, the chef and Henry's biological mother, dies from being frozen.]]
* NeverMyFault: [[spoiler:Near the end of the movie, Tommy's birth mother, who has been chasing him throughout, discovers his identity, then slaps him and accuses him of "trying to seduce your mother", when it was clearly the other way around.]]
* ReallyGetsAround: Tommy's birth mother shows interest in any man, [[spoiler: including her own son, a la Film/BackToTheFuture, until the truth comes out.]]
* RollerbladeGood: Henry.
* SwitchedAtBirth: Averted as Tommy and Henry were at least a few weeks old when they were switched.
* UnfortunateNames / WhoNamesTheirKidDude: Tommy's birth name is Thomas Henry Butterfly Rainbow Peace Martin. Keep in mind he was born in TheSixties.
* WouldHurtAChild: [[spoiler: After Henry and Kitty's infant son is born, Shadgrind places a bomb in the baby carriage in an attempt to kill the child, but it killed the nanny instead.]]