''Society'' is a 1989 BodyHorror film and the directorial debut of ''Film/ReAnimator'' producer Creator/BrianYuzna.
Bill Whitney is a popular teenager living in Beverly Hills, the only son of a wealthy upper class family. Despite his privileged position, he feels out of place in his family and life. Several strange circumstances lead him to suspect that his family and friends may not be what they seem, as Bill uncovers a conspiracy among the higher members of society.
!!This film provides examples of:
* BlackComedy: ''"Well son, I guess you were right: I AM a butthead!"'' There are a few other jokes that pop up during the climax, with the resultant MoodWhiplash providing something of a relief from the otherwise horrific sights and sounds.
* BodyHorror: Bucketloads of it. The Society members can mutate their forms in anatomically impossible ways. The climax of the film features a murderous "orgy" where they merge into each other while consuming a hapless victim.
* CloudCuckooLander: Most peripheral characters seem very much "off" from the get-go, but Clarissa's mother Ms. Carlyn stands out in particular. She's a huge woman with an intimidating presence who never speaks, enjoys eating hair, and in the words of one reviewer, "seems to have wandered in from a Creator/JohnWaters movie that was shooting next door." Luckily, despite being a member of high society and implicitly having the same gruesome abilities as her daughter, Ms. Carlyn is totally harmless and benign, even helping to save the day at the end.
** Good God, poor [[spoiler:Dave Blanchard]]... his body is slowly and painfully absorbed by a mass of mutated people.
** [[spoiler:Ted Ferguson]] gets an equally nasty one, dying via a hand up his crotch that grabs him through the mouth and eye sockets like a bowling ball, and '''pulls him inside out'''. Unlike the above-mentioned victim, though, [[AssholeVictim he had it coming]].
* DefectorFromDecadence: Clarissa has the same ability to "shunt" as the other Society members, but falls in love with Billy and never uses it to harm anyone.
* GlasgowGrin: Bill's psychologist Dr. Cleveland sports one in the climax.
* HumanAliens: Defied. When Bill calls the members of Society alien scum, they claim that they didn't come from outer space and that their LovecraftianSuperpower is simply the result of "impeccable breeding".
* ItWasHereISwear: One of Bill's classmates tries to warn him about the suspicious stuff going on behind closed doors, and arranges to meet him at a location late at night. Bill finds the guy's murdered body in the trunk of an abandoned car, but when he returns with the police the evidence has already been removed. [[spoiler: Said classmate set it up himself, and he shows up unharmed the next day to fuck with Billy's mind even further]].
* JerkJock: Ferguson has the jock attitude down pat, and turns out to be one of the evil Society members.
* KillThePoor: In the climax, the upper class literally consume a member of the lower class by assimilating his body mass.
* LovecraftianSuperpower: The members of Society can distort and mutate their bodies to use as a weapon; growing elongated arms is one of the more mundane uses.
* TheMasquerade: Society, which claims that it's [[AncientConspiracy been around since the dawn of civilization]]. Turns out that the elites are actually ravenous, mutating, people-eating monsters.
* MuggedForDisguise: Billy's friend Milo jacks a DirtyCop guarding the Whitney mansion and steals his jacket, hat and gun to sneak into the "shunting" party.
* NervesOfSteel: Milo proves himself to be quite a badass in the climax and keeps a surprisingly cool head when he bursts in on the nightmarish scene at the end. He immediately reacts with wide-eyed horror when he first sees the twisted mass of pulsing bodies, but quickly regains his composure and waits for an opportunity to jump in and save his buddy. He is later seen slapping away a guest's hand in annoyance when it tries to meld into his face.
* OverlyLongTongue: Ferguson at one point licks Bill with a massively oversized tongue.
* ParentalIncest: Bill is horrified to discover that his parents have been engaging in orgies with his sister. After he discovers that they're actually humanoid monsters who can distort their bodies, his sister([[BodyHorror 's face, protruding from both of their parents' torsos]]) even mockingly offers him to join in.
--> "If you have any Oedipal fantasies you'd like to indulge in, Billy, now's the time!"
* ThroughTheEyesOfMadness: Throughout the movie Bill keeps seeing horrific visions of people distorting their bodies in impossible ways, but a second later everything is back to normal. Subverted in the end when it turns out it was all real, leading to one of the [[BodyHorror most nauseating climaxes in the history of film]].