1963 drama directed by SamuelFuller.
Johnny Barrett (Peter Breck), an ambitious journalist, is determined to win a Pulitzer Prize by solving a murder committed in a lunatic asylum and witnessed only by [[RuleOfThree three]] inmates, from whom [[PoliceAreUseless the police have been unable to extract the information]]. With the connivance of a [[TheShrink psychiatrist]], and the reluctant help of his girlfriend Cathy (Constance Towers), he succeeds in having himself declared insane and sent to the asylum. There he slowly tracks down and interviews the witnesses - but things are stranger than they seem ...
!!This film provides examples of:
* BedlamHouse: The asylum has this dysfunctional feel to it.
* BoomerangBigot: Trent, as a self-proclaimed black Klansman.
* CannotSpitItOut: Johnny's speaking impairment in critical situations as a result of the electroshock therapy.
* CatapultNightmare: Trent is performing one of these.
* DrivenToMadness: TheMovie.
* ElectricTorture: The electroshock treatment Johnny is been given.
* FatBestFriend: The gigantic opera singer instantly befriends Johnny.
* FlippingTheTable: Happens during the dispute at the canteen.
* GoAmongMadPeople: Johnny.
* InnerMonologue: Johnny's thoughts are the main narrative.
* LoveMakesYouCrazy: Cathy's crazy love for Johnny.
* OrderliesAreCreeps: Wilkes anyway.
* PunctuatedPounding: Who! Killed! Sloan! (Johnny pounding Wilkes' head on the floor)
* PunishmentBox: Johnny is threatened by the warden to receive this treatment.
* TheReasonYouSuckSpeech: In the opening scene, Cathy is giving one of these to Johnny concerning his obsession.
* RoomFullOfCrazy: A mild version with the drawings in the Nymph ward.
* SanitySlippage: Johnny's losing it towards the end, becoming a legit inmate of the asylum.
* SplashOfColor: While the movie is produced in black and white, the nightmares/visions of the characters are depicted in color.
* TalkativeLoon: Trent in particular.
* WhereDaWhiteWomenAt: Trent mentions this twice in his hate speeches.
* YouHaveToBelieveMe: Johnny, trying to convince the shrink of his sanity.