'''''Scooby-Doo''''' is the 2002 live action adaptation of the Hanna-Barbera [[Franchise/ScoobyDoo cartoon franchise]], starring Freddie Prinze Jr., Creator/SarahMichelleGellar, Matthew Lillard, Creator/LindaCardellini and Rowan Atkinson and directed by Raja Gosnell.
After [[LetsSplitUpGang a sudden break up]] [[BreakingTheFellowship of Mystery Inc.]] the gang had gone about their separate ways for some time. Until one day they're all invited to a mysterious island to once again solve a mystery together.
The film is more of a self-aware parody of the Scooby-Doo franchise than a straight adaptation. It also pushes it's PG rating pretty hard (it was originally supposed to be PG-13) with many raunchy jokes and double entendres. It wasn't a critical success, but it grossed almost $300 million at the worldwide box office, and spawned a [[Film/ScoobyDooMonstersUnleashed more family-friendly sequel]] two years later.
!!This show provides examples of:
* AccidentalMisnaming: Only once in the entire movie could Fred say Mondavarious' name correctly.
* AdaptationalAttractiveness: Velma goes from [[http://www.selectspecs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/velma3.gif this]] to [[http://humordistrict.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/velma-movie-196x300.jpg this]].
* AdaptationExpansion: The novelisation actually expands a lot of things, adding more dialogue to short scenes - and giving backstories for a lot of moments. It also restores some deleted scenes and treats them as Canon (Daphne finding possessed Velma, Shaggy seeing Daphne getting possessed).
* AdaptationalVillainy: [[spoiler: Scrappy-Doo]].
* AffectionateParody: Of the Scooby franchise in general. Originally it was supposed to be a more openly parodic PG-13 movie like Film/TheBradyBunchMovie, but the final version of the film was heavily toned town to become more family-friendly. It still retains a notable parodic edge, to the point where it's more a spoof than a straight-up adaptation.
* AmusementParkOfDoom: Spooky Island.
* AnimatedCreditsOpening: The movie was originally intended to have an animated opening that would transition into live action but it was cut. It can still be seen completed as a DeletedScene.
* AnswerCut: During the airport scene when Shaggy appears to meet up with the rest of the gang, Velma asks where Scooby is. Cut to Scooby dressed as an old woman making his way towards them.
* ArsonMurderAndJaywalking: When Shaggy and Scooby initially decline the invitation to Spooky Island.
-->'''Shaggy''': Oh, Scoob and I don't go near any place with "spooky," "haunted," "forbidden," or "creepy" in the name.\\
'''Scooby''': Or "hydrocolonic."\\
'''Shaggy''': Right, or "hydrocolonic." But that's for a totally different reason, man.
** Attempting to [[spoiler:destroy Scooby]] or put him in harm's way is Shaggy's.
** Being captured is Daphne's. In the two years that Mystery, Inc. split up, she becomes a black belt to try and stop this from happening.
* BigBad: [[spoiler:Emile Mondavarious, [[TheManBehindTheMan who really turns out to be Scrappy Doo]] [[MobileSuitHuman operating a robot]].]] Then [[spoiler:it later turns out that the ''real'' Emile Mondevarius was locked away by Scrappy for two years, and is actually very friendly,]]
* BigNo: [[spoiler:Scrappy when Shaggy uses the pincer to remove the Daemon Ritus from his chest.]]
* BlindWithoutEm: Velma.
* BlondeBrunetteRedhead: If you include the three female leads there is Velma who is definitely a BrainyBrunette, Daphne is quite the FieryRedhead and Mary Jane is more HairOfGoldHeartOfGold than DumbBlonde. If you swap Fred out for Mary Jane then you get the DumbBlonde.
* BreakingTheFellowship: The gang decides to break up Mystery Inc. and go about their own paths early in the movie. They get better.
* BrickJoke: while on the island, it's announced there is a phone call for "Mr. Doo". A guy named Melvin Doo asks if it was for him, but it was for Scooby. Later, when it is announced Scooby will be sacrificed, he panicks and says "Me? Don't you mean Melvin Doo?", pointing at the same guy.
* TheCameo: Pamela Anderson. To a lesser extent, Sugar Ray the band.
* CatchPhrase: Two. "Jinkies" for Velma, "Zoinks" for Shaggy.
* ChekhovsGag: Melvin Doo. Also, [[spoiler: Scrappy-Doo pulling a [[WesternAnimation/TheIncredibles Syndrome]].]]
* ChekhovsGun: Subverted. On the plane to Spooky Island, Fred flicks Scooby on the nose to stop him barking at a cat. It doesn't work. [[spoiler:It earns him a punch in the face.]] Later, in the climax, Scooby attempts to do the same thing to [[spoiler: Scrappy]]. That doesn't work either. [[spoiler: Scrappy roars in his face.]]
** Played straight with the disco skull and the Daemon Ritus.
* ChekhovsHobby: Daphne mentions after the gang meet up at the airport that she undertook becoming a blackbelt. [[spoiler:This comes in handy during her fight with Zarkos at the end.]]
* ComplimentBackfire: Fred attempts to compliment Velma...
--> "I'm a man of substance. Dorky chicks like you turn me on too."
* ConveyorBeltOfDoom: The opening scene.
* CurseCutShort: This line from [[spoiler:Scrappy]] at the end:
--> "And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for [[YouMeddlingKids you meddling sons of-]]" ''(helicopter door is slammed shut)''
* DamselInDistress: Daphne tries ''hard'' to avert this. In the end, she does...
* DamselOutOfDistress: ...and becomes one of these at the end.
* DeadpanSnarker: Velma. One snark at the beginning leads to Daphne snatching Velma's glasses off her face.
* DeconstructiveParody: The film enjoys taking apart the tropes of the Scooby Doo Universe, Daphne getting kidnapped, warning of obviously dangerous and scary locations and examining the roles of the team.
* DesignatedVictim: Deconstructed with Daphne. She is genuinely offended when the gang talk about her always getting kidnapped and uses that as her reason to leave, eventually learning martial arts to overcome this.
* TheDogWasTheMastermind: [[spoiler:Literally.]]
* TheDragon: Zarkos is this to N'Goo Tuana, who himself is arguably this to [[spoiler:Mondavarious]].
* DramaticUnmask: The opening with the Luna Ghost, everyone but Velma is surprised of who the culprit is.
* DrunkOnMilk: Velma in a DeletedScene.
* DumbBlonde: Fred is a male example.
* ExactWords: The BigBad needs a "pure soul" as a sacrifice. [[spoiler: No one said it had to be human...]]
* FaceHeelTurn / NotGoodWithRejection: [[spoiler:Scrappy]]. See also: [[spoiler:TakeThatScrappy]].
* FanServicePack: Velma, in her beach party get-up.
* FlatWhat: The boy in the orange jumper in the airport has an expression on his face that screams this as Scooby (dressed as a woman) makes his way towards the others.
** [[spoiler:The fact that Scooby is particularly important (his soul is the purest one to be absorbed through the Daemon Ritus) are hinted at first of all with the whole thing with the hamburgers in the woods before the castle scene and again when Shaggy and Scooby run into the possessed rock band and possessed-Fred goes, "Get the dog."]]
** [[spoiler:After TheReveal that Emile Mondavarious is the BigBad, having brought Scooby to the island, there's several hints in the scene where he talks to Scooby that point to his 'real' identity. First he has a photo of Scooby hanging around, a bobblehead cat, and other small things - pointing to a certain nephew, Scrappy.]]
* FreakyFridayFlip: Mystery Inc. minus Scooby after [[spoiler:their souls were transferred to different bodies.]]
* TheFriendsWhoNeverHang: As the film is set-up with an acknowledgement to the animated series, Velma is annoyed at being the odd man out yet again during the obligatory LetsSplitUpGang (Shaggy & Scooby, Fred & Daphne). Fred volunteers to partner up with her, but as they don't hang, Fred struggles to carry a conversation with her, but she appreciates the effort.
* GameFace: The possessed students eyes glow green. [[spoiler:When Mary Jane is hit in the face by a branch, it's literally bent out of shape, revealing her as a monster in disguise, though only Scooby notices.]].
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: Shaggy mentions that "But you don't need to know what 'Voulez-vous coucher avec moi' means to love that song!" Kinda justified in that it ''is'' in a song, but it still means 'Do you want to sleep with me?'.
** If Shaggy really ''doesn't'' know what it means, [[FridgeBrilliance then it's even more justified, since]] ''he really doesn't know what he's saying''.
** Daphne heavily implies that the Luna Ghost kept trying to grope her.
** Also the scene right after the gang has broken up with Scooby and Shaggy hanging out at a beach, in their van, laughing, whilst smoke comes out of the van's roof.
*** It turns out they're really just making eggplant burgers, but still...
*** The fact that "Pass the Dutchie" plays in the background doesn't help.
**** Which is actually ostensibly a song about sharing food, bring it all full circle.
** Related to that smoke, when Mary Jane first introduces herself, Shaggy enthusiastically notes that she has his favorite name. ([[DontExplainTheJoke Mary Jane is a nickname for marijuana]])
** When Shaggy finds Fred [[spoiler:after the monsters attack]], Fred drops the word "biatch". Subtitles render that as "bitch".
** And finally, ''this'' awkward line, spoken by Fred [[ItMakesSenseInContext while in Daphne's body]]: "Hey... I can look at myself ''naked''!" Immediately afterwards he [[ManIFeelLikeAWoman looks down the front of her shirt]] and grins. Later, Fred-in-Daphne's-body can be seen in the [[FunnyBackgroundEvent background]], groping her own breasts. Also Shaggy-in-Velma's body can be seen trying to look up her own skirt.
* HairOfGoldHeartOfGold: Mary Jane who is kind and sweet to everyone, as well as sharing Shaggy's love of food.
* TheHero / TheLancer: Deconstructed in both cases with Fred and Velma respectively. Velma is the one who figures out most of the mysteries, yet Fred takes credit for all her plans leaving her as just TheSmartGuy. Deleted scenes reveal that Fred attempts to promote a book about himself but fails miserably without the rest of the gang, and that Velma ended up in therapy thanks to her treatment from the others.
* HeterosexualLifePartners: A rare man and man's best friend case -- Shaggy and Scooby-Doo. They're best friends and always look out for each other, and as such are nearly always seen together. For example, when Scooby falls down the hole during his argument with Shaggy, Shaggy dives down after him to try and find him. He's the first to actively decide to rescue Scooby after it's discovered [[spoiler:Scooby's soul is the pure one needed for the demons' ritual.]] He also tries to [[spoiler:attack Mondavarious to stop the actual absorption from happening.]]
* HijackedByGanon / TheManBehindTheMan: [[spoiler: Scrappy Doo is the real villain of the film, with Emile just being a ''very'' convincing human robot suit he pilots.]]
** [[spoiler:Scrappy]] in the flashback depicting him shows him as an egotistical jerk, which leads to the rest of Mystery, Inc. kicking him out. Velma even calls him an egomaniac.
** Fred too to a lesser degree. Daphne calls him egocentric as well when Fred-in-Daphne's body won't stop touching herself.
* JiveTurkey: The Voodoo Maestro.
* LetsSplitUpGang: The team decides to go off on their own for a while to investigate different aspects of their new mystery.
* LogoJoke: A Bite is taken out of the Warner Bros. shield, although you don't see him Scooby's laugh is heard. Then the logo disappears and Scooby's dog tag reading "SD" appears, underneath it says 'A Mystery Inc. Company".
* MagicSkirt: Linda Cardellini had her skirt taped to her legs so it wouldn't flip over in the scene where she (as Velma) dangles upside down by one foot in a scaffold chain. This was Warner Bros.' edict to help preserve the "family film" integrity.
* MasterActor: It's revealed that [[spoiler:Emile Mondavarious is really Scrappy Doo, who pulls off a very convincing gentlemanly human businessman]].
* MeaningfulEcho: "Friends don't quit."
* MsFanservice: Daphne walks around dressed in plenty of flattering dresses. And Velma finds herself in some revealing beach party gear. There's also a cameo from Pamela Anderson in a sheer white tank top. Mary Jane also wears some very figure-flattering clothes.
* TheNapoleon: A flashback to the "good old days" shows Scrappy attempting to usurp leadership of the gang from Fred, saying he "doesn't have the scrote for the job!" before unceremoniously being given the boot.
* NiceJobFixingItVillain: [[spoiler:Emile Mondavarious/Scrappy Doo]] invited the ''entire'' gang of Mystery Inc. to the island when the members had already broken up and went their separate ways previously. This subsequently ends up with all five members meeting each other again, with the Scooby Gang rekindling its relationship, and all five members reverting back to cooperating and acting as a team again. Due to the BigBad [[VillainBall sending invitations to all five members]] in the first place.
* NoodleIncident: According to Fred about Scooby:
-->"This is more embarrassing than the time you started cleaning your beans at Don Knotts' Christmas party."
** Shaggy after Velma's WhamLine. [[spoiler:He's just realised the pure soul needed for the ritual is Scooby's.]]
** Zarkos at the end [[spoiler:after Daphne overpowers him and he realizes she's about to get her own back on him.]]
* OlderThanTheyLook: When Scrappy appears in a flashback, Velma mentions how he wasn't a puppy anymore despite his appearances.
* OneWingedAngel: [[spoiler:Scrappy after absorbing the souls.]]
* PaperThinDisguise: Big dogs aren't allowed on the plane so Shaggy dresses Scooby up in a dress, big hat and sunglasses as "Grandma". Velma and Daphne say that no one will fall for it...and then Fred does. The novelisation (written from Velma's point of view) says that the disguise fooled everyone on the plane.
* PerspectiveFlip: The novelisation, which tells each chapter from a different character's point of view. For example, Velma's POV covers the opening break-up and the next chapter is from Shaggy's.
-->'''Shaggy''': "Like, dude..."
-->[[spoiler:'''Scrappy Rex''']]: "WHAT?"
-->'''Shaggy''': [[spoiler:"You're a bad puppy!"]]
* RidiculouslyHumanRobot: [[spoiler: Emile, who is really just a robot piloted by Scrappy Doo.]]
* RightBehindMe: The Luna Ghost behind Shaggy as he's trying to explain there's no such thing as monsters. Happens again later on as he and Scooby are having a farting contest. He doesn't notice that Daphne is right behind him.
* TheScrappy: InUniverse. The trope namer himself appears in a flashback showing how he was kicked off the team, though he's portrayed as a massively egotistical jerk instead of merely being overconfident. [[spoiler:He's also the main villain of the movie, acting out of a desire for vengeance over being kicked off the team.]]
* SelfDeprecation: In a flashback, Scrappy is portrayed as an egotistical maniac instead of merely overconfident, as part of a nod to how reviled he was by fans.
* SignificantGreenEyedRedhead: Daphne, as portrayed by Sarah Michelle Gellar, who has green eyes.
* ShipTease: Velma and Fred, Daphne and Mark [=McGrath=] from Music/SugarRay.
* ShoutOut: See [[ShoutOut/ScoobyDoo the page]].
* SleevesAreForWimps: Daphne swaps out her traditional long-sleeved outfit for dresses that have no sleeves.
* TheStinger: The first part of the credits feature Scooby and Shaggy doing a hot pepper eating contest.
* TargetedHumanSacrifice: The BigBad needs a pure soul for his ritual. The only soul meeting the requirements on the whole island is [[spoiler:Scooby's]].
* TookALevelInBadass: Daphne had a radical change from her classic DamselInDistress characterization. Elements of this change stuck around in future ''ScoobyDoo'' media, notably in ''WhatsNewScoobyDoo''.
* TookALevelInJerkass: Almost everyone compared to the original series.
* TotallyRadical: The creatures have learned to imitate human speech - using ''this'' as an example. So it's easy to spot who's been possessed and who hasn't.
* UrineTrouble: In a flashback Scrappy pees on Daphne, which - in addition to his massive ego - is what got him kicked off the team.
* ValleyGirl: Daphne talks like this at the beginning but has dropped it when the gang reunite.
* WHAMLine: Mystery Inc. deduced that the villains [[spoiler:need a pure soul]] for their plans. Fred wonders where they are going to find [[spoiler:a pure human soul]].
-->'''Velma''': [[spoiler:"I didn't say ''human''."]]
* WhoWearsShortShorts: Mary Jane in the second act.
-->'''Daphne''': (having just overpowered Zarkos) "''Now'' who's the damsel in distress?"
-->'''Zarkos''': "[[OhCrap Me?]]"
-->'''Daphne''': "Straight up!"
* WhoWouldWantToWatchUs: Shaggy mentions how creepy castles always have paintings with eyes that watch you and suits of armor that have guys in it who follow you but stop every time you turn around. Daphne has to ask how many times has it actually happened.
** According to Shaggy, the answer is [[spoiler:12]].