''Scooby-Doo'' is the 2002 live action adaptation of the Hanna-Barbera Cartoon starring Freddie Prinze Jr., Sarah Michelle Gellar, Matthew Lillard, Linda Cardellini and Rowan Atkinson and directed by Raja Gosnell.
After [[LetsSplitUpGang a sudden break up]] [[BreakingTheFellowship of Mystery Inc.]] the gang had gone about their separate ways for some time. Until one day they're all invited to a mysterious island to once again solve a mystery together.
Though the film was critically panned with a 30% score on the [[RottenTomatoes Tomato-Meter]], it grossed $275 million worldwide, with only an $84 million budget, leading to a [[Film/ScoobyDooMonstersUnleashed sequel]].
You can find [[ShoutOut Shout Outs]] [[ShoutOut/ScoobyDoo here]].
!!This show provides examples of:
* AccidentalMisnaming: Fred can't ever say Mondavarious' name correctly. Though funny enough he does say it properly once.
* AdaptationalVillainy: [[spoiler: Scrappy-Doo]].
* AnimatedCreditsOpening: The movie was originally intended to have an animated opening that would transition into live action but it was cut. It can still be seen completed as a DeletedScene.
* AmusementParkOfDoom: Spooky Island.
* BigBad: [[spoiler:Emile Mondavarious, [[TheManBehindTheMan who really turns out to be Scrappy Doo]] [[GhostInTheMachine operating a robot]].]]
* BlindWithoutEm: Velma.
* BlondeBrunetteRedhead: If you include the three female leads there is Velma who is definitely a BrainyBrunette, Daphne is quite the FieryRedhead and Mary Jane is more HairOfGoldHeartOfGold than DumbBlonde. If you swap Fred out for Mary Jane then you get the DumbBlonde.
* BreakingTheFellowship: The gang decides to break up Mystery Inc. and go about their own paths early in the movie. They get better.
* BrickJoke: while on the island, it's announced there is a phone call for "Mr. Doo". A Melvin Doo asks if it was for him, but it was for Scooby. Later, when it is announced Scooby will be sacrificed, he panicks and says "Me? Don't you mean Melvin Doo?", pointing at the same guy.
* TheCameo: Pamela Anderson
* ChekhovsGag: Melvin Doo. Also, [[spoiler: Scrappy-Doo pulling a [[WesternAnimation/TheIncredibles Syndrome]].]]
* ChekhovsGun: Subverted. On the plane to Spooky Island, Fred flicks Scooby on the nose to stop him barking at a cat. It doesn't work. [[spoiler:It earns him a punch in the face.]] Later, in the climax, Scooby attempts to do the same thing to [[spoiler: Scrappy]]. That doesn't work either. [[spoiler: Scrappy roars in his face.]]
** Also, the disco skull, and the Daemon Ritus.
* ComplimentBackfire: Fred attempts to compliment Velma...
--> "I'm a man of substance. Dorky chicks like you turn me on too."
* ConveyorBeltOfDoom: The opening scene.
* CurseCutShort: This line from [[spoiler:Scrappy]] at the end:
--> "And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for [[YouMeddlingKids you meddling sons of-]]" ''(helicopter door is slammed shut)''
* DeconstructiveParody: The film enjoys taking apart the tropes of the Scooby Doo Universe, Daphne getting kidnapped, warning of obviously dangerous and scary locations and examining the roles of the team.
* DesignatedVictim: Deconstructed with Daphne. She is genuinely offended when the gang talk about her always getting kidnapped and uses that as her reason to leave, eventually learning martial arts to overcome this.
* TheDogWasTheMastermind: [[spoiler:Literally.]]
* DramaticUnmask: The opening with the Luna Ghost, everyone but Velma is surprised of who the culprit is.
* DrunkOnMilk: Velma in a DeletedScene.
* DumbBlonde: Fred is a male example.
* ExactWords: The BigBad needs a "pure soul" as a sacrifice. [[spoiler: No one said it had to be human...]]
* FaceHeelTurn / NotGoodWithRejection: [[spoiler:Scrappy]]. See also: [[spoiler:TakeThatScrappy]].
* FanServicePack: Velma, in her beach party get-up.
** TheLeader: Fred
** TheLancer: Shaggy
** TheSmartOne: Velma
** TheBigGuy / TeamPet: Scooby-Doo
** TheChick: Daphne
* FreakyFridayFlip: Mystery Inc. minus Scooby after [[spoiler:their souls were transferred to different bodies.]]
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: Shaggy mentions that "But you don't need to know what 'Voulez-vous coucher avec moi' means to love that song!" Kinda justified in that it ''is'' in a song, but it still means 'Do you want to sleep with me?'.
** If Shaggy really ''doesn't'' know what it means, [[FridgeBrilliance then it's even more justified, since]] ''he really doesn't know what he's saying''.
** Daphne heavily implies that the Luna Ghost kept trying to grope her.
** Also the scene right after the gang has broken up with Scooby and Shaggy hanging out at a beach, in their van, laughing, whilst smoke comes out of the van's roof.
*** It turns out they're really just making eggplant burgers, but still...
** Related to that smoke, when Mary Jane first introduces herself, Shaggy enthusiastically notes that she has his favorite name. ([[DontExplainTheJoke Mary Jane is a nickname for marijuana]])
** And finally, ''this'' awkward line, spoken by Fred [[ItMakesSenseInContext while in Daphne's body]]: "I can look at myself ''naked''!" Later, Fred-in-Daphne's-body can be seen in the [[FunnyBackgroundEvent background]], groping her own breasts. Also Shaggy-in-Velma's body can be seen trying to look up her own skirt.
* HairOfGoldHeartOfGold: Mary Jane who is kind and sweet to everyone, as well as sharing Shaggy's love of food.
* TheHero / TheLancer: Deconstructed in both cases with Fred and Velma respectively. Velma is the one who figures out most of the mysteries, yet Fred takes credit for all her plans leaving her as just TheSmartGuy. Deleted scenes reveal that Fred attempts to promote a book about himself but fails miserably without the rest of the gang, and that Velma ended up in therapy thanks to her treatment from the others.
* HeterosexualLifePartners: A rare man and man's best friend case -- Shaggy and Scooby-Doo.
* HijackedByGanon / TheManBehindTheMan: [[spoiler: Scrappy Doo is the real villain of the film, with Emile just being a ''very'' convincing human robot suit he pilots.]]
* JiveTurkey: The Voodoo Maestro.
* LetsSplitUpGang: The team decides to go off on their own for a while to investigate different aspects of their new mystery.
* LogoJoke: A Bite is taken out of the Warner Bros. shield, although you don't see him Scooby's laugh is heard. Then the logo disappears and Scooby's dog tag reading "SD" appears, underneath it says 'A Mystery Inc. Company".
* MagicSkirt: Linda Cardellini had her skirt taped to her legs so it wouldn't flip over in the scene where she (as Velma) dangles upside down by one foot in a scaffold chain. This was Warner Bros.' edict to help preserve the "family film" integrity.
* MsFanservice: Daphne walks around dressed in plenty of flattering dresses. And Velma finds herself in some revealing beach party gear. There's also a cameo from Pamela Anderson in a sheer white tank top.
* NiceJobFixingItVillain: [[spoiler:Emile Mondavarious/Scrappy Doo]] invited the ''entire'' gang of Mystery Inc. to the island when the members had already broken up and went their separate ways previously. This subsequently ends up with all five members meeting each other again, with the Scooby Gang rekindling its relationship, and all five members reverting back to cooperating and acting as a team again. Due to the BigBad [[VillainBall sending invitations to all five members]] in the first place.
* NoodleIncident: According to Fred about Scooby:
-->"This is more embarrassing than the time you started cleaning your beans at Don Knotts' Christmas party."
* OneWingedAngel: [[spoiler:Scrappy after absorbing the souls.]]
* PaperThinDisguise: Big dogs aren't allowed on the plane so Shaggy dresses Scooby up in a dress, big hat and sunglasses as "Grandma". Velma and Daphne say that no one will fall for it...and then Fred does. The novelisation (written from Velma's point of view) says that the disguise fooled everyone on the plane.
-->'''Shaggy''': "Like, dude..."
-->[[spoiler:'''Scrappy Rex''']]: "WHAT?"
-->'''Shaggy''': [[spoiler:"You're a bad puppy!"]]
* RidiculouslyHumanRobot: [[spoiler: Emile, who is really just a robot piloted by Scrappy Doo.]]
* RightBehindMe: The Luna Ghost behind Shaggy as he's trying to explain there's no such thing as monsters. Happens again later on as he and Scooby are having a farting contest. He doesn't notice that Daphne is right behind him.
* SignificantGreenEyedRedhead: Daphne, as portrayed by Sarah Michelle Gellar, who has green eyes.
* ShipTease: Velma and Fred, Daphne and Mark out of Sugar Ray.
* ShoutOut: See [[ShoutOut/ScoobyDoo the page]].
* SleevesAreForWimps: Daphne swaps out her traditional long-sleeved outfit for dresses that have no sleeves.
* TargetedHumanSacrifice: The BigBad needs a pure soul for his ritual. The only soul meeting the requirements on the whole island is [[spoiler:Scooby's]].
* TookALevelInBadass: Daphne had a radical change from her classic DamselInDistress characterization. Elements of this change stuck around in future ''ScoobyDoo'' media, notably in ''WhatsNewScoobyDoo''.
* TookALevelInJerkass: Almost everyone compared to the original series.
* ValleyGirl: Daphne talks like this at the beginning but has dropped it when the gang reunite.
* WHAMLine: Mystery Inc. deduced that the villains [[spoiler:need a pure soul]] for their plans. Fred wonders where they are going to find [[spoiler:a pure human soul]].
-->'''Velma''': [[spoiler:"I didn't say ''human''."]]
-->'''Daphne''': (having just overpowered Zarkos) "''Now'' who's the damsel in distress?"
-->'''Zarkos''': "[[OhCrap Me?]]"
-->'''Daphne''': "Straight up!"
* WhoWouldWantToWatchUs: Shaggy mentions how creepy castles always have paintings with eyes that watch you and suits of armor that have guys in it who follow you but stop every time you turn around. Daphne has to ask how many times has it actually happened.
** According to Shaggy, the answer is [[spoiler:12]].