[[caption-width-right:320:And [[Literature/TheRing seven days after seeing it, you will die]].]]
->''I Feared Not''\\
--Epitaph of Lewis Moffett
A 1962 "Horror"/"Suspense" movie, about the [[ScareEmStraight dangers of college fraternity hazing rituals]], which is pretty much notable only for its appearance on ''Series/MysteryScienceTheater3000'' (along with an episode of the FilmSerial ''ThePhantomCreeps'').
Lewis Moffett is a 42-year-old -- er, fresh-faced young medical student who wows his college classmates with his [[FearlessFool amazing fearlessness]]. He watches an autopsy unflinchingly even as the others are fainting and getting sick, and he effortlessly kills a garter snake which threatens his [[AutoErotica nookie time]] with the girlfriend. But Lewis is harboring a Dark Secret: his bravery is [[MilesGloriosus a complete fraud]]. See, when Lewis was a little boy, he was forced to sleep in the same house with his just-deceased grandfather's casket, and as a result developed a secret fear of the dark and/or dead bodies.
Coincidentally enough, the leaders of the fraternity Lewis wants to join have decided to base Lewis' InitiationCeremony around his supposed bravado: Late at night, Lewis must sneak into the masoleum where the body from the autopsy has been interned, and return with the corpse's ring. Unfortunately for Lewis, a [[CatScare screeching cat]] and a dead hand hanging up on his coat prove too much for him, and the middle-aged guy with the weak ticker -- I mean, the ''fit young man'' promptly dies of a heart attack.
There's also some sort of subplot about a couple of overweight college lovers; this quickly devolves into an OverlyLongGag and eventually degenerates into DudeNotFunny, and really isn't worth going into here.
For the ''Series/MysteryScienceTheater3000'' episode see ''[[Recap/MysteryScienceTheater3000S02E06RingOfTerror here]]''.
!!This film uses the following tropes:
* AcceptableTargets: Fat people. InUniverse, and presumably out as well.
* CatScare: Subverted, in that it's the cat scare that actually does Lewis in.
** Played straight with a tree branch.
* DawsonCasting: Exaggerated with the "22"-year-old Lewis; actor George Mather was twice that age. The other students don't look to be much younger themselves.
--> '''Servo''': Son, can you get that-? Oh, right. I'm a ''college student''.
* EmbarrassingNickname: The overweight guy is called Tiny which is only mildly embarrassing but the overweight woman is called Rag Doll for some unknown but cringe worthy reason. Their real names are never mentioned.
* FramingDevice: The creepy caretaker.
* FearlessFool / MilesGloriosus: [[ZigZaggingTrope Zig-zagged]]; Lewis seems genuinely fearless, even watching a ([[TakeOurWordForIt purportedly]]) gruesome autopsy without flinching; but it turns out that due to a childhood incident involving his dead grandfather, he's deathly afraid of the dark.
* InitiationCeremony: Based upon Lewis' FearlessFool persona, his fraternity sends him to collect a ring from a recently interned corpse.
* LostAesop: Lewis' soliloquy about "They".
* OverlyLongGag: see AcceptableTargets.
** "Pu-ma? P'''u'''-ma!"
* SatelliteLoveInterest: Pretty much all of them, but Lewis' girlfriend stands out (mainly because she's given the most attention in the film).
* VomitDiscretionShot: Plenty of 'em during the autopsy.
** Gypsy has one during the [[Series/MysteryScienceTheater3000 MST3K]] autopsy segment.
* [[DawsonCasting ..."Youth"]] [[YouthIsWastedOnTheDumb Is Wasted On The Dumb]]: [[ScareEmStraight College hazing]] [[AndThatsTerrible is bad]].