[[caption-width-right:320:And [[TheRing seven days after seeing it, you will die]].]]
->''I Feared Not''\\
--Epitaph of Lewis Moffett
A 1962 "Horror"/"Suspense" movie, about the [[ScareEmStraight dangers of college fraternity hazing rituals]], which is pretty much notable only for its appearance on ''MysteryScienceTheater3000'' (along with an episode of the FilmSerial ''ThePhantomCreeps'').
Lewis Moffett is a 42-year-old -- er, fresh-faced young medical student who wows his college classmates with his [[FearlessFool amazing fearlessness]]. He watches an autopsy unflinchingly even as the others are fainting and getting sick, and he effortlessly kills a garter snake which threatens his [[AutoErotica nookie time]] with the girlfriend. But Lewis is harboring a Dark Secret: his bravery is [[MilesGloriosus a complete fraud]]. See, when Lewis was a little boy, he was forced to sleep in the same house with his just-deceased grandfather's casket, and as a result developed a secret fear of the dark and/or dead bodies.
Coincidentally enough, the leaders of the fraternity Lewis wants to join have decided to base Lewis' InitiationCeremony around his supposed bravado: Late at night, Lewis must sneak into the masoleum where the body from the autopsy has been interned, and return with the corpse's ring. Unfortunately for Lewis, a [[CatScare screeching cat]] and a dead hand hanging up on his coat prove too much for him, and the middle-aged guy with the weak ticker -- I mean, the ''fit young man'' promptly dies of a heart attack.
There's also some sort of subplot about a couple of overweight college lovers; this quickly devolves into an OverlyLongGag and eventually degenerates into DudeNotFunny, and really isn't worth going into here.
For the ''Series/MysteryScienceTheater3000'' episode see ''[[Recap/MysteryScienceTheater3000S02E06RingOfTerror here]]''.
!!This film uses the following tropes:
* AcceptableTargets: Fat people. InUniverse, and presumably out as well.
* CatScare: Subverted, in that it's the cat scare that actually does Lewis in.
** Played straight with a tree branch.
* DawsonCasting: Exaggerated with the "22"-year-old Lewis; actor George Mather was twice that age. The other students don't look to be much younger themselves.
--> '''Servo''': Son, can you get that-? Oh, right. I'm a ''college student''.
* FramingDevice: The creepy caretaker.
* FearlessFool / MilesGloriosus: [[ZigZaggingTrope Zig-zagged]]; Lewis seems genuinely fearless, even watching a ([[TakeOurWordForIt purportedly]]) gruesome autopsy without flinching; but it turns out that due to a childhood incident involving his dead grandfather, he's deathly afraid of the dark.
* InitiationCeremony: Based upon Lewis' FearlessFool persona, his fraternity sends him to collect a ring from a recently interned corpse.
* LostAesop: Lewis' soliloquy about "They".
* OverlyLongGag: see AcceptableTargets.
** "Pu-ma? P'''u'''-ma!"
* SatelliteLoveInterest: Pretty much all of them, but Lewis' girlfriend stands out (mainly because she's given the most attention in the film).
* VomitDiscretionShot: Plenty of 'em during the autopsy.
** Gypsy has one during the MST3K autopsy segment.
* [[DawsonCasting ..."Youth"]] [[YouthIsWastedOnTheDumb Is Wasted On The Dumb]]: [[ScareEmStraight College hazing]] [[AndThatsTerrible is bad]].