American film released in 1994 starring Danny Devito and Gregory Hines.
A down-on-his luck businessman named Bill Rago (Danny Devito) ends up applying for and being given a job as a teacher for the U.S. Army. He soon learns that he has to get his group of students to avoid flunking the class.
!!Tropes evident in ''Renaissance Man'' include:
* ArmorPiercingQuestion: When Rago is confronted by the company commander over his teaching methods and motivations, he dismisses any prior experience with the military and proudly points out that he carried a sign with a dead soldier's name on it to protest the Vietnam War.
-->'''Colonel James:''' What was his name?
-->'''James:''' The soldier on the sign. What was his name? ''(Cue blank look and dead silence.)''
* ComingOfAgeStory: Arguably happens to several members of the class, in particular Tommy Lee Haywood (played by Mark Wahlberg).
* CoolTeacher: Bill Rago eventually transitions to this role after completing the obstacle course to prove himself to his class.
* DeathCourse: Not a literal example, however, given how Bill Rago looks and the shape he is in, the normal obstacle course may be enough of one.
* DrillSergeantNasty: Sergeant Cass, but he's not particularly mean. It's still not a good idea to undermine his authority in front of the recruits.
* MilitarySchool: The film treats the classroom as this kind of a set up.
* NoGoodDeedGoesUnpunished: Bill tries to get Captain Murdoch to look into Hobbs for officer training, but Murdoch ends up finding that Hobbs has a warrant out for his arrest, making Rago feel terrible when he's arrested.
* NonGivingUpSchoolGuy: Pretty much a staple of the movie as it came out in 1994, when many movies about teachers were reveling in this trope.
* ReasonableAuthorityFigure: Both Captain Murdoch and Colonel James are nice guys who support Rago.
* RousingSpeech: Done by both Bill Rago and the students. In-universe, the "St. Crispin's Day" speech from Henry V is quoted twice.
* SaveOurStudents: Done more so as a 'save our Army students' variation.
* SpecialEffectFailure: A minor one near the end. As Sgt. Cass leads his new recruits in Bill's Hamlet marching cadence, you can hear the recruits respond, but none of them are seen talking. Obviously dubbed in after.