'''''Prom Night''''' is a SlasherMovie from the year 2008. It is [[InNameOnly an extremely loose remake]] of the [[Film/PromNight1980 1980 film with the same name]].
It is about an ex-teacher named Fenton, who is murderously obsessed with one of his students, played by Creator/BrittanySnow. Managing to escape from the police, he's prepared and determined to get to her at any cost during her senior prom.
!!This film has the examples of:
* AxCrazy: Fenton, albeit in a sinisterly understated way. In the ColdOpen, he was shown yelling and threatening Donna's mother, but on the titular prom night, he calmly and systematically knocks off everyone who gets in his way, one by one. At one point, he even casually asks one of his victims "Why the rush?" as she's fleeing.
* BlackDudeDiesFirst: [[spoiler: Averted, very surprisingly. Out of the six main teens, the only two to survive are the FinalGirl and the black guy. Even her LoveInterest dies.]]
* BreakTheCutie: Donna: first her family are murdered, then all her friends, and then [[spoiler: her boyfriend.]]
* DevelopingDoomedCharacters: Done here to keep them from all being mere MonsterMunch. In particular, one of the boys is shown to be [[AssholeVictim a bit dickish]], but [[DownplayedTrope not at all enough]] to deserve being ''killed'' for it.
* EvilTeacher: Fenton. A sexual maniac and a brutal killer.
* FinalGirl: Donna. ''Twice.''
* InfantImmortality: Averted. Along with her parents getting killed, Donna's little brother got knifed as well (they even show his body).
* JumpScare: There's a rather infamous example with a lamp.
* KnifeNut: Fenton's WeaponOfChoice is a sharp knife.
* KarmicDeath: [[spoiler:Fenton.]]
* NoEnding: After [[spoiler:the cops shoot Fenton]], there's nothing but a flashback to the principal characters enjoying themselves at the prom for the credits. We get nothing showing what became of the survivors afterward, no final assessment of the police who handled ([[PoliceAreUseless or mishandled]]) this case, nothing.
* NothingIsScarier: Done several times to the audience in a number of subversions of the PeekABooCorpse. We know (though the characters don't) about several of the killer's victims, and the film keeps leading us to expect one of the remaining cast to stumble across one of the corpses, only to have them ''not'' stumble across it when it was there just a minute ago.
* OffScreenTeleportation: Fenton is one slippery devil, not only managing to elude the police this way several times even though they're watching all the hotel's exits for him, but somehow also managing to "teleport" a couple of his victims' corpses away to conceal them from his other soon-to-be victims.
* PaperThinDisguise: Fenton manages to avoid the police partially by [[BeardnessProtectionProgram shaving his beard]]. This was originally a BeardOfEvil, but by no means an all-concealing one, and he only shaves it down to PermaStubble, not clean off.
* PoliceAreUseless: Kicked around a bit in this film. The head detective is actually shown mentally kicking himself at one point when he realizes that he let the killer ''walk right past him'' [[spoiler: out the hotel's front door, right before the SWAT team tossed the place]] in his PaperThinDisguise [[spoiler: of a uniform he stole from one of the employees he murdered]]. Sure, [[spoiler:they ''do'' finally shoot Fenton dead, but by then, he's killed a ''lot'' of Donna's closest friends.]].
** He's also shown cursing [[ObstructiveBureaucrat his superiors]] for only ''now'' warning him (so he could warn everyone else) that Fenton escaped ''three days ago'', and tells his sidekick he'd thought the overwhelming evidence they'd brought against the guy for murdering Donna's entire family would convince the jury to give him the death penalty, but the jury decided imprisonment in a maximum-security asylum for the criminally insane was a better idea... [[WhatCouldPossiblyGoWrong because what could possibly go wrong]]? OhWait.
** Also, they know the escaped killer is obsessed with ''one single person'' and though they discreetly post some guys at the prom to keep an eye on her, they elect not to tell her they're watching out for her escaped assailant because it would... ruin her prom night? More competent police would have hustled her to a more secure location immediately, no matter ''how'' important the event.
* SeriousBusiness: The prom for the town, apparently. There's a red carpet, people all holding signs congratulating the kids... In a bit of ArtisticLicense, one teen's wealthy father is even indicated to have rented most of the hotel for this event. (Unless the building is being renovated or something, a high school prom is ''always'' supposed to be held at the high school; some states have ''laws'' about this.) Hell, the police are even reluctant to interrupt it over an ''escaped serial killer obsessed with one of the attendees''.
* StealthHiBye: Fenton pulls this on Donna a ''lot''.
* WouldHurtAChild: As mentioned above, among Fenton's many victims is Donna's little brother.