%% ZeroContextExample entries are not allowed on wiki pages. All such entries have been commented out. Add context to the entries before uncommenting them.
'''''Princess of Thieves''''' is a 2001 romantic action-adventure TV movie starring Creator/KeiraKnightley as Gwyn, the daughter of RobinHood. Co-starring in the film are Creator/MalcolmMcDowell as the Sheriff of Nottingham, Creator/JonathanHyde as Prince John, Stuart Wilson as Robin Hood, Del Synnott as Froderick, and Stephen Moyer as Philip. The movie was directed by Peter Hewitt and filmed in Romania.
Just as Robin Hood and Will Scarlett return from their most recent Crusade, King Richard is wounded and dying. Richard's son Phillip must journey from France to England to stop the evil Prince John from assuming the throne. John's henchmen are everywhere, set to assassinate Phillip before and after he arrives. Robin and Will and ordered to safely bring him in, but they're captured. Robin's fiery daughter Gwynn (an equal to any man in archery and horse riding) disguises herself as a boy to earn her father's respect, since he forbade her to get involved because of a promise he made to her mother, the now dead Marian. After narrowly escaping death two times, Phillip and Gwynn team up to free Robin and Will and stop the Sheriff of Nottingham and Prince John.
Only shares a general subject with ''Film/RobinHoodPrinceOfThieves''.
!!''Princess of Thieves'' contains examples of:
* AgeCut: We see Robin Hood's young daughter folding the blanket at the bottom of her bed, then we see the same scene with Keira Knightley in the place of the young girl.
%%* ArcherArchetype: Gwyn
%%* BodyDouble: Prince Philip has one.
* CaliforniaDoubling: Romania stands in for Merrie Old England.
* ChildhoodFriendRomance: Frederick, a young friar with a not-so-subtle crush on Gwyn.
%%* EvilUncle: Prince John is Philip's evil uncle.
* GratuitousFrench: Milder than most, but the Baroness, who is loyal to Prince John, speaks with a French accent and threw in the occasional French term.
%%* HeroicBastard: Philip of Cognac.
%%* HistoricalHeroUpgrade: Philip of Cognac.
* ImportantHaircut: Gwyn gives herself one when she decides to follow after Robin, in an attempt to follow him to war.
* MissingMom: Marian is dead at the start of the movie.
-->'''Gwyn''': Now you let me steal your horse?
-->'''Prince Philip''': I give it to you freely madam. A woman should not have to walk.
-->'''Gwyn''': Has not a woman legs? Do we not walk and run just as you do?
* OneOfTheBoys: Gwyn tells her father that she wants to go with him because she's as good as a son.
%%* OutdoorsyGal: Gwyn
* RebelPrince: Prince Philip's head aches just to contemplate a list of king's duties.
* SplittingTheArrow: Gwyn does this; splitting the arrow at 100 yards to win the tournament.
* SweetPollyOliver: Gwyn cuts off her hair and takes her friend's clothes to pose as a boy. In the commentary they admit that she still looks completely feminine but we should just go with it.
* UnluckyChildhoodFriend: Frederick, a young friar with a not-so-subtle crush on Gwyn.
* YouMustBeCold: A subversion, where Prince Philip gives his coat to Connor, in what might be seen as HoYay.