''Playing by Heart'' is a 1998 romantic dramedy featuring an AllStarCast. The film follows a number of characters living in Los Angeles and their relationships.
* AnguishedDeclarationOfLove: Joan makes one for Keenan after he reveals [[spoiler: he's got HIV]].
* DarkSecret: Keenan avoids getting too close to Joan, until he reveals [[spoiler: that he was infected with HIV by his last girlfriend]].
-->'''Joan:''' [to waitress] I'll have a vodka martini, very dry, straight up. Three olives, and... my sullen friend here will have...
-->'''Keenan:''' A Coke.
-->'''Joan:''' [[TheTeetotaler The poster boy for designated drivers]] will have a ''Coke''.
* FauxYay: Hugh attempts this at a gay bar, but the DragQueen he's chatting to sees through the ruse.
-->'''Lana:''' Lana may be three sheets to the preverbial wind, but I don't believe a single word coming out of your pretty, straight, little mouth.
* FieryRedhead: Joan. Meredith has the red hair, but not the personality.
* TheFirstCutIsTheDeepest: For Keenan, with devestating consequences.
* HappilyMarried: Paul and Hannah. Averted with [[spoiler: Gracie and Hugh]].
* HyperlinkStory: The final scenes of the film reveal how the characters are linked- [[spoiler: Joan, Meredith and Gracie are Paul and Hannah's daughters; Hugh is Gracie's husband and Roger is the celebrant who is presiding over Paul and Hannah's renewal of their vows. A couple of scenes earlier, Mark is revealed to be Meredith's ex.]]
* SillyRabbitRomanceIsForKids: Meredith's view of relationships- after getting hurt one too many times she's reluctant to get involved with Trent.
* SingleWomanSeeksGoodMan: Joan
* YouGottaHaveBlueHair: Keenan
* YourCheatingHeart: Played straight with [[spoiler: Gracie]] who is cheating on [[spoiler: Hugh]] with [[spoiler: Roger]] who is also cheating on his spouse.
** Keenan's first girlfriend cheated on him, [[spoiler: and consequently infected him with HIV]].
** Averted with Paul, who admits to Hannah that he toyed with having an affair with a former co-star in the past, but resisted temptation.