->''' Admiral Greer:''' Excuse me, Jack, tell me one thing in life that is absolutely for certain.
->'''Jack Ryan:''' My daughter's love.
''Patriot Games'' is a 1992 film starring Creator/HarrisonFord and SeanBean, adapted from the [[Literature/PatriotGames novel of the same name]] by Creator/TomClancy. It is the sequel to ''Film/TheHuntForRedOctober'' and would be followed by a third film, ''Film/ClearAndPresentDanger''.
!!This film provides examples of:
** Jack Ryan (Harrison Ford) is seen crossing Hanover Street. ''Hanover Street'' is the title of another novel made into a movie starring Harrison Ford.
** The scene in which Ryan zooms in on and analyses different parts of the satellite photograph is a ShoutOut to ''Film/BladeRunner''.
* AdaptationDyeJob: In the books Cathy Ryan is a blonde.
* AdaptationalVillainy: The film version of Sean Miller is even more violent and crazy than the book version.
* BritishRoyalGuards: They show up a little late, but they ''do'' get to show some of their mettle in this film. Sally Ryan does a brief tapdancing routine in front of one guard trying to get a reaction, and when he doesn't respond she says "I'm impressed" and wanders off. Shortly thereafter, they're the first Brits to respond to the attack on Lord Holmes and his family.
-->'''Guard:''' Army! Drop it!
* ChekhovsGunman: The Marine sentry at the Annapolis gate [[spoiler: stops an assassin from killing Jack on his way home.]]
* DarkActionGirl: Annette, the Irish assassin.
* TheDanza: Inverted/Averted. Sean Miller gets his name from the original novel
* DeathByAdaptation: In the film TheDragon is killed when he falls on a boat anchor and is impaled. In the book he is disarmed and captured by Jack Ryan, who turns him over to the authorities. It is mentioned in later books that he was sentenced to death for his crimes and executed by the state.
* GetItOverWith: As Sean Miller's cohorts rescue him from the prison van, they prepare to execute the guards, asking if any of them has any last words. Inspector Highlands simply says:
--> "Get on with it and be on your way."
* HostageSituation[=/=]HumanShield: When Miller's cohorts attack the van, they drag the driver from it and threaten to kill him unless the van doors are opened. The GenreSavvy Inspector Highlands tells the other officers to open the door. When they protest that they should wait, Highlands snaps, "Wait for what? For them to kill him and ''then'' we open the door?"
* INeverSaidItWasPoison: A variation -- after Jack Ryan's IRA informant gives him pictures of the people who had attempted to kill Ryan (and in a separate attack, his wife and daughter), Jack's superior dismisses the information, believing that mole is trying to mislead Jack. "All he has to do is show you a few pictures of a girl..." Jack realizes he never told the man he was looking for a female assassin and realizes the information must be legitimate.
* MissingTrailerScene: Creator/JamesEarlJones is heard saying in the trailer, "There's never been a terrorist attack on American soil". This was left out of theatrical release because it sounded too much like an invitation or dare.
* NamedByTheAdaptation: The member of the British Royal Family who Ryan rescues from a terrorist attack is named as Lord William Holmes; in the novel, he is [[AnonymousRinger unnamed but heavily implied to be Prince Charles]].
* NiceJobFixingItVillain: If the bad guys hadn't attacked the police [[spoiler:to free Sean Miller]], their plan might've worked. It was ultimately bloodlust for revenge against Ryan that led to the plan failing.
* OnlyAFleshWound: Played straight. Ryan recovers from his gunshot wound to the shoulder wearing nothing but a sling on his arm. A notable difference from the book, which averts this trope.
* OutWithABang: One Irish assassin is a redheaded beauty who shoots her target immediately after sex at the beginning of the movie.
* PragmaticAdaptation: Considering the difficulties of getting the real life Prince and Princess of Wales to star in the movie, it's likely why the character Lord Holmes was created.
* RenegadeSplinterFaction: Like the novel, the Ulster Liberation Army is an offshoot of the Provisional Irish Republican Army.
* RevengeByProxy: Sean Miller targets not just Jack, but his wife and daughter too.
* RevengeMyopia: Sean Miller wants to kill Jack because he killed his brother Patrick, but it occurred during their assassination attempt against the royal family.
* SeanConneryIsAboutToShootYou: Both on the poster (with Jack Ryan), and in the film itself, in the scene where Sean Miller executes Dennis Cooley.
* SpySatellites: The film features a scene where Ryan watches a live satellite feed of a British [=SAS=] team attacking the terrorist camp. [[spoiler:Unbeknownst to him, Sean Miller is not at the camp.]]
* UselessSpleen: Averted. Jack Ryan's daughter loses her spleen after an attack by the terrorists, and later Miller, while taunting Ryan, makes a point of mentioning how she'll be disadvantaged.
* WouldHurtAChild: Sean Miller. In fact, he seems to take a perverse ''pride'' in it.
* YouHaveOutlivedYourUsefulness: "Sorry, Dennis."