A 1987 RomanticComedy starring Creator/KurtRussell and Creator/GoldieHawn. Joanna is a RichBitch living with all the creature comforts on a yacht with her husband Grant. While bored during a stopover for repairs in the small town of Elk Cove, Oregon, Joanna hires a local carpenter, Dean, to remodel her closet. Despite the closet being exactly what she asked for, she declares it to be sub-par, stiffs him on the bill, and throws him and his tool box overboard.
After leaving port that night, Joanna goes up on deck to retrieve her wedding ring. She falls overboard and washes up near Elk Cove with [[LaserGuidedAmnesia amnesia]]. Her husband, although he comes to see her, does not retrieve her, instead taking the yacht for an extended party with younger women. Dean, however, sees Joanna on the news and decides that a little payback is in order: he tells her that her name is Annie and she is his wife and the mother of his four sons and plans to have her work off her debt by doing domestic chores.
Unfortunately for him, she has never so much as touched a kitchen or cleaning implement in her life. HilarityEnsues.
Not to be confused with the newspaper comic strip ''Overboard.'' Or the pirate game ''Overboard!''
!!This film provides examples of:
* AbductionIsLove: Played for laughs, but Dean exploits the amnesia of Joanna/"Annie", unlawfully takes her from the hospital with the intent of using her for manual labor. But it's [[BrokenAesop all okay because she falls in love with him and they all live happily ever after]].
* AccidentalMisnaming: "Annie", at first, calls Travis "Roy" repeatedly.
* AllMenArePerverts: Averted. Dean not only asserts that he would never touch Joanna due to her vile personality (no matter how good she looks), but refuses to sleep with "Annie" until after the two of them truly fall in love. He actually goes the extra mile and does everything he can to put her off sex, such as pouring a shot of cheap booze on his shirt and pretending to be completely wasted.
* AllWomenLoveShoes: The film starts with Joanna hiring Dean to make a shoe closet. She describes her current situation as catastrophic. And that's just the shoes she keeps on her yacht.
* AmnesiacLover: Played with, while Dean and Annie were never married, she and he do fall in love with each other.
* AmnesiacDissonance: Averted. "Annie" may not have Joanna's memories, but she is still every inch a RichBitch.
* BrokenAesop: It is perfectly fine to abduct an amnesia victim, lie to them about their identity, and exploit them for manual labor if they wind up falling in love with you in the end.
* ChekhovsGun: A minor one, but Dean points out that it's a little hard for him to ''not'' hear Joanna and Grant talking about him when they're directly above him. Shortly thereafter, the entire ship hears ''him'' as he gives Joanna a TheReasonYouSuckSpeech.
* ComicallyMissingThePoint: The principal tells Dean that his boys are completely without supervision, to which Dean misinterprets and remarks how lucky they are.
* DeadpanSnarker: Joanna has her snarky moments, especially when she acts like a RichBitch:
-->'''Joanna''': What's my maiden name?
-->'''Joanna''': Annie...Goolihy? Where in God's name did I grow up? Dog Patch?
* DefrostingIceQueen: Annie.
* DreamSequence: During "Annie's" first night at Dean's house, water drops hitting piano keys from a leaky roof cause her to dream of being at a New Year's Eve party (with the pianist playing the same tune the water drops make).
* FindingABraInYourCar: At one point, Annie finds her own lacy panties in Dean's glove box. They're not only miles above the quality of her current underwear, but also monogrammed with her real initials. She naturally assumes Dean is having an affair.
* Fridge Logic/Fridge Horror: Joanna's mother becomes suspicious that she hasn't heard from her for 2 months, which causes Grant to have to return for Joanna. Joanna states at the end that the boat and money are all hers. Who knows what Joanna's mother thought had happened to her?
* ForgottenBirthday: Played with. Dean is trying to come clean to Annie, but just can't work up the nerve, so he covers by telling her that the important revelation is that he forgot her birthday.
* HeroicBSOD: "Annie" goes into one just after the first day of trying to do chores. Dean coms home to find her sitting in a chair, completely catatonic, with the kids around her. The boys inform Dean of her day, so Dean decides to prompt a response out of her by asking her what's for dinner. When she replies with "Buh buh buh buh buh..." with no end in sight, Dean picks her up, carries her outside, and tosses her into the water barrel to snap her out of it.
* IAmWho: Dean initially withholds the information about Annie's real past out of spite, but as he grows closer to her it becomes more out of fear of losing her.
* IgnoredConfession: When Annie finds her own monogrammed panties in the truck and accuses Dean of cheating, he uses the opportunity to confess the whole scheme to her. She completely ignores it, thinking he's just trying to talk his way out of the affair. It helps that his sons have grown to love Annie and refuse to acknowledge the reveal. Dean's best friend then "admits" that the panties belong to a hooker he slept with his Dean's truck. When Dean asks why, the friend says that Annie is the best thing that ever happened to Dean.
* IntimateMarks: Dean is able to convince the doctors caring for her that he's her husband because he could describe a buttock tattoo he saw when she was wearing a thong bikini.
** Grant, who possibly crosses over into MagnificentBastard territory when he abandons his ''amnesiac'' wife to a mental hospital so he can run off with the [[spoiler:or rather ''her'']] money and play with young "actresses."
** Dean, at first, until he starts to like "Annie."
* LaserGuidedAmnesia: Joanna loses all of her memories, but still retains all her previous skills, and attitude.
* MamaBear: Annie becomes one to the boys.
* MeaningfulName: Dean '''Proffitt'''.
** Dean's first wife and mother of his boys is only briefly mentioned. Dean informs the principal that she passed on three years ago.
** [[spoiler: When Joanna regains her memories and goes home, she becomes this for the boys, who heartbeakingly cry "You said Moms don't leave!"at her limo as they drive off.]]
* NiceToTheWaiter: Played for CharacterDevelopment. Before her accident, Joanna is a spoilt, tempestuous diva to her long-suffering butler and the other staff. After her accident, when she returns to her former life she finds she is able to connect much better with them than her old friends and family, and [[HeelRealization expresses remorse for her previous cruelty and thoughtlessness to them]].
* NotDistractedByTheSexy: Joanna's string bikini.
* OnlySaneMan: Billy not only tries to talk Dean out of his scheme, but implores him to come clean later. Zig-Zagged later when he tells an elaborate lie while Dean is trying to tell "Annie" the truth because Dean "balongs with her".
* OperaGloves: Only on the movie poster, pictured above.
* PrincessInRags: The central joke of the film, although Annie isn't really consciously aware of what she's lost. Ultimately subverted when [[spoiler:it looks like she chooses her new family over her wealth, but in actuality, the fortune was always hers, not her husband Grant's.]]
** Due to being up on deck and the acoustics of the ship, Dean's rant is quite audible to most of the rest of the crew. The servants break out in applause.
--->You know what your problem is? Huh? You're so goddamn bored, you gotta invent things to bitch about. You haven't got a single thing to do except for your hair. Yeah! The closet was fine! You just needed somethin' to take up your useless, empty, nail-polishing, toe-polishing, rich-bitch, sun tanning days!
** Joanna gets her turn later, when she calls out Dean as a bad father who fails to notice how uncared for and undisciplined his children are. She also calls out the kids' teacher, who thought that they were faking being sick to get out of the test, and somehow missed that they all had massive rashes from poison oak.
* RichBitch: Joanna and her mother.
* RichInDollarsPoorInSense: All of Joanna's family, but especially apparent with Joanna, who has no idea how to prepare food or clean a house.
** Joanna's mother is wearing one of these when the yacht is turned around in the middle of the night.
** Annie also uses one of the boys' costume masks as one.
* StarCrossedLovers: The story of Katarina and Arturo, which becomes a MeaningfulEcho at the film's climax. Made more meaningful considering it's just another instance of Dean's masterful off-the-cuff bullshit that's defined their relationship.
* StealthPun: When Dean says that he bought "the good stuff" for her birthday, Annie remarks that she's never had anything like it. She thinks it's because the champagne is expensive, but it's really because at "seven dollars a pop" she's never drunk anything so ''cheap''.
* SuspiciouslyAproposMusic: "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You" is playing in a scene where it becomes obvious Dean is falling for Annie.
* ATasteOfTheirOwnMedicine: Joanna treated Dean poorly after hiring him to do carpentry work for her, eventually manufacturing an excuse to stiff him on the bill. When Dean sees her amnesia story on the news, he seizes the opportunity to claim her as his wife and put her to work raising his kids (admittedly while he works two jobs) as retribution.