A 1991 action film directed by John Flynn, starring Creator/StevenSeagal and William Forsythe.
Gino Felino (Seagal) is a police officer in crime-ridden Brooklyn. He has an agreement with the local mob that neither will hurt the other. One day, however; psychopathic, drug-addicted mob boss and Gino's childhood enemy Richie Madano (Forsythe) murders Gino's partner and [[ChildhoodFriends best friend]], Bobby Lupo, in broad daylight in front of his wife and two kids. Gino embarks on a [[RoaringRampageOfRevenge vengeful rampage]] to find Richie and kill him, beating up half the mobster population of the district in the process.
!!This film provides examples of:
* AxCrazy: Richie.
* BarBrawl: [[http://www.cracked.com Cracked.com]] columnist Robert Brockway sums it up well, writing about a clip of the famous scene: "''Seagal casually, almost absent-mindedly beats the shit out of most of New Jersey in this video, using a billiard ball wrapped in a bar towel.''"
* BlackAndGrayMorality: While Gino is portrayed as a good cop that stays as close to the law as possible, he also has ties to the Mafia (and knows the local mafia boss, with whom he stays amicable to a degree and only insults him when said boss tries to order him around too much) and constantly threatens or abuses, both verbally and physically, anybody who refuses to help him, even when said people have ''very good'' reasons not to help him. Bobby Lupo, his best friend, ends up being a [[spoiler: DirtyCop]] who [[spoiler: cheated on his wife]]. However, Richie kills a cop in broad daylight and is coked-up maniac who abuses his girlfriend just for the hell of it, terrorizes his own family, and shoots people if they as much annoy him, so compared to him, Gino, Bobby, and even the mob come off as saints.
* BrooklynRage: big time, the Brooklyn Italian mob accents in this one have black influence, to the point of comical inaccuracy. It's spiked-up during fights and verbal confrontations.
* BuryYourDisabled: Poor Chas the Chair.
* ChewingTheScenery: William Forsythe. Makes sense since Richie's high on crack the whole film.
* ChekhovsGunman: Picolino.
* ChildhoodFriends: Gino, Bobby, and probably Richie. It is never clear if the two were friends with Richie or if they just happened to know him.
* TheDeterminator: Gino. No matter what Richie throws his way or how many people refuse to help him, '''NOTHING''' will stop him.
* DaChief: Captain Ronnie Donziger, Gino's direct superior. He's played by Creator/JerryOrbach, so it should surprise no one.
* DeadAllAlong: [[spoiler: Richie's first girlfriend, Roxanne.]]
* DirtyCop: [[spoiler: Bobby Lupo.]]
* [[DoNotGoGentle Go Out With A Bang:]] Richie. He's fully aware he won't last a day after killing Bobby, so he uses his available time to settle all scores and throw a huge party with his posse.
* EnemyMine: Both Gino and TheMafia end up going against Richie.
* EvenEvilHasLovedOnes: Richie's parents plead with Gino not to kill their son, even as they are sickened by what he has done. He agrees only if Richie turns himself in [[CaptainObvious which of course he doesn't because then there would be no story.]] His brother, who is a JerkAss and criminal, counts as well.
* ForTheEvulz: Richie's basic motivation for half of the stuff he does after killing Bobby.
* GoneHorriblyWrong: It is heavily implied that it was [[spoiler: Bobby's wife]] who sent a picture to Richie which got him killed. [[spoiler:She]] meant well, but one has to wonder what was [[spoiler: she]] [[WhatAnIdiot expecting to happen]]. [[spoiler: She]] also [[spoiler: hides the picture Richie threw at Bobby's corpse which revealed his affair]] which is a key piece of evidence, making Gino and the cops lose very valuable time because of that.
* HoistByHisOwnPetard: [[spoiler: It is the same corckscrew that Richie attacks Gino with that Gino uses to kill him.]]
* ItsPersonal: Richie kills Bobby [[spoiler: because he was sleeping with his girlfriend.]] For Gino too, since Bobby was his best friend.
* KnightTemplar: Gino. In his quest to find Richie, he treats people not a great deal more gently than Richie himself does.
* LaserGuidedKarma: A subplot involves Gino [[PetTheDog adopting a dog]] that some brute [[KickTheDog throws out of a window]]. At the end, Gino finds the brute again, [[GroinAttack kicks him in the balls]], and then the dog comes and urinates on his face.
--> Please, God; let me run into this guy some time.
* NeighbourhoodFriendlyGangsters: TheMafia is portrayed as wanting [[EvenEvilHasStandards absolutely nothing]] to do with Richie after he goes off the deep end and want him stopped at all costs since they know his actions will bring unwanted attention to them. They're right. They even ask Gino twice to stop his RoaringRampageOfRevenge so thay can deal with Richie themeselves. The first time, he casually turns them down, the second time he makes it clear '''he's having none of it''', and perhaps due to knowing that Gino is not someone you mess with, they simply stop trying and steer clear out of his way.
* NoHoldsBarredBeatdown: It's a Steven Seagal film. ''What did you expect?''
* NotSoDifferent: Gino and Richie. Both are very violent people with ties to the mob and who do very questionable things and will stop at nothing to get what they want. However, Gino only kills as a very last resort, while "killing everything" seems to be Richie's modus operandi. Also, Gino has a badge and, outside of wanting to kill Richie, trully wants to do his job and keep some order in the neighborhood.
* TheReasonYouSuckSpeech: Gino, of all people, gets one from his wife near the start of the film, when his wife calls him out for putting his job and neighborhood above his family, destroying his family life in the process. Surprisingly, by the film's midpoint we see he actually took it to heart and promises to change.
** Gino gives one to the TheMafia boss when he tries to order him around.
* RoaringRampageOfRevenge: Gino but also Richie, who is out to settle scores, albeit with a much heftier dose of DisproportionateRetribution which brings Gino, the police and TheMafia all after him.
* VillainousBreakdown: Richie, through the whole film, fueled by constant consumption of alcohol and drugs. The entire plot is basically ''about'' his villainous breakdown and the efforts of Gino, the police and even the mafia to bring him down due to the murderous rampage his breakdown sends him on, and he spends most of the film knowing he is a dead man with nothing to lose after killing a cop in broad daylight.
* YourCheatingHeart: The [[spoiler: real reason]] behind the whole plot.