''Osama'' (Persian: أسامة) is a 2003 film made in Afghanistan by Siddiq Barmak. It is about a young girl in Afghanistan under the Taliban who disguises herself as a boy, Osama, in order to support her family. It was the first film to be shot entirely in Afghanistan since 1996, when the Taliban regime banned the creation of all films. The film was an international co-production between companies in Afghanistan, the Netherlands, Japan, Ireland and Iran.
To put it in troper vernacular, ''Osama'' is a real TearJerker that shows the effect the taliban rule had on women, and how the UpToEleven DoubleStandard often created impossible situations for them. Circumstances have left "Osama's" family without any male relatives to support them. When the Taliban close the hospital where they work, and enforce draconic restriction against women working or moving about freely, their choices are literally to endanger their daughter and break the law, or starve.
Not to be confused with UsefulNotes/OsamaBinLaden. Although the use of his name is probably not an accident, the film makes no other reference to him.
!!This film provides examples of:
* BigBrotherMentor: Espandi gives Osama shit about being effeminate, but uses his popularity with the other boys to support her secret identity, teaches her masculine mannerisms, gives her the authoritative nickname, and [[spoiler:cries for her at the end]].
* CrapsackWorld: Life under the Taliban sucks and there's NO WAY OUT.
* FateWorseThanDeath: [[spoiler: Osama's [[RapeAsDrama eventual]] [[TearJerker fate]]]]
* NoNameGiven: To the max. Out of a fair-sized cast, ''no one'' in the film is named save Espandi.
* NoPeriodsPeriod: Averted at the worst possible time.
* OldManMarryingAChild: Several examples are seen in the movie, as it is considered acceptable by the Taliban. The hypocrisy behind the supposedly Islam-approved practice is shown by the fact that the Taliban literally auction the girls off to the highest bidder.
* SlidingScaleOfIdealismVersusCynicism: The movie pretty much leans way over to the cynicism side of the scale. Though considering the subject matter, it's understandable.
* SweetPollyOliver: With all camp and humor [[PlayedForDrama removed]].