A film based on the [[FilmOfTheBook book of the same name]] which was, in turn, based in the [[Literature/TheBible Biblical]] [[Literature/BookOfEsther story of Esther]].
!! Examples of tropes:
* AsTheGoodBookSays: Rather than read from the boring history books like all the other wife candidates have had to do, Esther chooses to tell the king the story of Jacob, Rachel, and Leah, him becoming fascinated by it and her audacity to read something else when that could risk death.
* BaldBlackLeaderGuy: Hegai the head eunuch.
* CrapsackWorld: A world where genocide is considered cool, TheEmpire is evil and brutal, and TheFederation exist only in the paranoid delusions (or lies) of the worst bigots.
* DeadlyDecadentCourt: Where traitors just keep betraying each other and everyone else.
* DemocracyIsBad: According to the Persians.
* DownerBeginning: Unless you happen to think that genocide happens to be awesome. DeliberateValuesDissonance is used so that the film can have it both ways.
* TheEmpire: Babylon is a very evil empire.
* TheFederation: A great alliance of democratic Greeks and monotheistic Jews, unified in the belief that all humans are created equal. The whole thing sounding very much like EagleLand. Of course, this alliance does not exist in the setting itself. However, it is often invoked as one of the main excuses to go genocidal on the Jews.
* FinalSolution: Both the Jews in the backstory and the enemy of the Jews in the story are openly and proudly genocidal.
* ForegoneConclusion: Haman will be HoistByHisOwnPetard, Mordecai will be promoted to his place, and a new decree will be made that basically defangs Haman's while still respecting the immutability of the Law of the Medes and the Persians.
* GentleGiant: Hegai
* GroinAttack: An UnluckyChildhoodFriend of Esther is made a eunuch against his will. Poor fellow.
* HelloNurse: Esther
* JesusWasWayCool: While not mentioning Jesus by name, this being set in old testament times after all, Mordechai manage to squeeze in some gushing about the future Messiah.
* MyCountryRightOrWrong: This trope is how one of the main characters manages to be a rather nice guy and come across as a decent LoveInterest for the protagonist while still being the leader of TheEmpire.
* ANaziByAnyOtherName: Haman is very reminiscent of UsefulNotes/AdolfHitler.
* NonNaziSwastika: Subverted, since the character using it just happens to be the one who want to exterminate the Jews.
* OhCrap: Haman, when Esther reveals her true nationality.
* PuttingOnTheReich: Haman bears a very familiar Hindu good luck symbol.
* SmugSnake: Haman.
* SparedByTheAdaptation: Memucan is killed in the book.
* WouldBeRudeToSayGenocide: Of the kind where you call a genocide a glorious victory. To the point where the problem isn't the slaughter of women and children, but rather the failure to kill one pregnant woman.
* YouShouldKnowThisAlready: Certain plot points are skipped because the viewer is expected to already know them, such as the king learning Mordecai was never rewarded when his chronicles are read at night, or Esther inviting him and Haman to two dinners, instead cutting directly to the second dinner.