-> "That's not my ringtone..."
''One Missed Call'' is a 2008 American remake of J-horror movie ''ChakushinAri.'' The main plot is that a spirit inside cell phones will call itself and play for the owner what they'll sound like when they die shortly after. This version stars Shannyn Sossamon and Edward Burns.
!!!Tropes used by the movie:
* AbusiveParents: [[spoiler: Social Services suspected this to be the case with Marie Layton. Actually subverted - it was an abusive sister. Marie Layton discovered the abuse just before she and Ellie died]]
* [[BlackDudeDiesFirst Black Chick Dies First]]: Poor Meagan Good.
* DarkSecret: [[spoiler: The killer ghost wasn't of the mother of the two girls, it was the older sister.]]
* [[spoiler: EyeScream]]
* ForTheEvulz: After its first few victims, the ghost really seems to have no reason to kill anybody besides plain old sociopathy.
* GenreKiller: This movie marked the end of the trend of J-horror remakes. Ironically, the movie made $27 million domestically, which is more than other Asian Horror remakes like ''Shutter'' ($26 mil), ''Dark Water'' ($25 mil), and ''Pulse'' ($20 mil). It made $46 million worldwide and cost $20 million to make, so there's a decent chance it turned a profit. Part of this was due to overexposure (this was one of four major American remakes of Asian horror films in 2008) and the rise of ''Paranormal Activity'' and its found-footage ilk as the new standard of mainstream horror the next year.
* HauntedTechnology: the phone.
* IronicNurseryTune: The aforementioned ringtone-that-is-not-theirs.
* TheCallKnowsWhereYouLive: Remove the battery from your phone? The call will still get through. Cancel your cell phone service and ''break the processor chips'' in your phone? It'll still ring.
* YouCantFightFate: You would think that trying to avoid saying the "last words" a victim hears would null the prophecy, but... actually, none of the characters thought of that. [[spoiler: a ProphecyTwist is still possible, on [[FinalGirl special occasions]].]]