A 1986 screwball comedy starring Creator/JohnCusack and Creator/DemiMoore. The plot focuses on the antics of Hoops [=McCann=] (Cusack) and his [[RagtagBunchOfMisfits friends]] as they spend a summer cavorting around the island of Nantucket, Massachusetts. Sometime along the way Hoops and his friends run across a young rock singer named Cassandra Eldridge (Moore) whom they must help to save her grandmother's house from the clutches of [[CorruptCorporateExecutive Aquilla Beckersted]] and his [[JerkJock son Teddy]].
!!Tropes that apply to this film:
* AnimatedCreditsOpening: Both the opening and closing of this film are animated. The director, Savage Steve Holland, is also an animator.
* BigEater: Cookie, who casually and effortlessly consumes a bag of popcorn twice her size in a few minutes despite being played by the petite Kimberly Foster.
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: Used in-universe when, during a RousingSpeech, Hoops rails against the "Cute and fuzzy bunnies," eliciting looks of confusion from his friends.
** Also the above-mentioned scene where Cookie eats what has to be at least 100 pounds of popcorn. The next time we see her it's as if it never happened.
* ChekhovsGun: Hoops' fear of boats is mentioned at the beginning, naturally the climax revolves around boats.
* ChekhovsSkill: Inverted in that Hoops is established to have absolutely no basket-making ability, but is called upon to sink a ridiculously difficult shot at the climax.
* ConeOfShame: Squid Calamari's dog who wears this thing throughout the whole film ends up having puppies wearing the same thing.
* CuteIsEvil: The "Cute and fuzzy bunnies" from Hoops animated story.
* DickDastardlyStopsToCheat: Lampshaded during the boat race. Teddy objects to Aquilla trying to sabotage Hoops' boat because he's already winning, but Aquilla insists that "The only way to win is to cheat".
* FlippingTheBird: Hoops and his friends do this to Teddy and his sailing crew as they pass by him in their sailing ship refitted with part of Teddy's convertible as its outboard motor.
* IronicNickname: Despite his name, Hoops is terrible at basketball.
* JerkJock: Teddy
* KickTheDog: The villain literally kicks a dog as part of his over-the-top characterization. He also likes to listen to lobsters scream as he boils them - with a stethoscope, no less.
* NeverSayThatAgain: The very mention of the word "work" is enough to make idle rich snob Teddy clutch his ears in terror.
* OverlordJr: Teddy to Aquilla.
* RibbonCuttingCeremony: Hoops and his friends try to christen a sailing ship that they fixed up by breaking a small nip of liquor on the bow, but they end up breaking a hole in the ship instead.
* SearchingTheStalls: The leader of a biker gang opens each stall [[spoiler:and finds the person he was looking for in the last one.]]
* ShoutOut: Egg winds up getting stuck in a Godzilla suit and having a lit cigar thrown in the mouth of it to give the appearance of smoke coming out. He winds up going on a rampage through a scale model of the BigBad's planned real-estate development plan; complete with explosive pyrotechnics and Creator/BobcatGoldthwait's trademark screaming sounding close enough to Godzilla's roar to pass off.
** Hoops [=McCann's=] name is a reference to the Music/SteelyDan song "Glamour Profession", which features a basketball player by the same name.
* TakeThatCritics: Siskel And Ebert gave Savage Steve Holland's previous film ''Film/BetterOffDead'' a negative review, so at the end of the movie a pair of "Cute and fuzzy bunnies" who resemble them get blown up.
* ThePreciousPreciousCar: Teddy's red Ferrari, complete with VanityLicensePlate.
* VanityLicensePlate: On Teddys car, "[=CUL8R=]". It fittingly stays on the part of the car that has been turned into the outboard motor that was used on the fixed-up sailing ship Hoops and his friends use in the race.
* WastebasketBall: Hoops plays a game of this just after producing another failed cartoon. The wastebasket, which is surrounded by a couple dozen crumpled-up papers, is ''completely empty''.