A 1986 screwball comedy starring JohnCusack and Creator/DemiMoore. The plot focuses on the antics of Hoops [=McCann=] (Cusack) and his [[RagtagBunchOfMisfits friends]] as they spend a summer cavorting around the island of Nantucket, Massachusetts. Sometime along the way Hoops and his friends run across a young rock singer named Cassandra Eldridge (Moore) whom they must help to save her grandmother's house from the clutches of [[CorruptCorporateExecutive Aquilla Beckersted]] and his [[JerkJock son Teddy]].
!!Tropes that apply to this film:
* AnimatedCreditsOpening: Both the opening and closing of this film are animated. The director, Savage Steve Holland, is also an animator.
* BigEater: Cookie, who casually and effortlessly consumes a bag of popcorn twice her size in a few minutes despite being played by the petite Kimberly Foster.
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: Used in-universe when, during a RousingSpeech, Hoops rails against the "Cute and fuzzy bunnies," eliciting looks of confusion from his friends.
** Also the above-mentioned scene where Cookie eats what has to be at least 100 pounds of popcorn. The next time we see her it's as if it never happened.
* ChekhovsGun: Hoops' fear of boats is mentioned at the beginning, naturally the climax revolves around boats.
* ChekhovsSkill: Inverted in that Hoops is established to have absolutely no basket-making ability, but is called upon to sink a ridiculously difficult shot at the climax.
* ConeOfShame: Squid Calamari's dog who wears this thing throughout the whole film ends up having puppies wearing the same thing.
* CuteIsEvil: The "Cute and fuzzy bunnies" from Hoops animated story.
* DickDastardlyStopsToCheat: Lampshaded during the boat race. Teddy objects to Aquilla trying to sabotage Hoops' boat because he's already winning, but Aquilla insists that "The only way to win is to cheat".
* IronicNickname: Despite his name, Hoops is terrible at basketball.
* JerkJock: Teddy
* KickTheDog: The villain literally kicks a dog as part of his over-the-top characterization. He also likes to listen to lobsters scream as he boils them - with a stethescope, no less.
* NeverSayThatAgain: The very mention of the word "work" is enough to make idle rich snob Teddy clutch his ears in terror.
* OverlordJr: Teddy to Aquilla.
* SearchingTheStalls: The leader of a biker gang opens each stall [[spoiler:and finds the person he was looking for in the last one.]]
* ShoutOut: Egg winds up getting stuck in a Godzilla suit and having a lit cigar thrown in the mouth of it to give the appearance of smoke coming out. He winds up going on a rampage through a scale model of the BigBad's planned real-estate development plan; complete with explosive pyrotechnics and Creator/BobcatGoldthwait's trademark screaming sounding close enough to Godzilla's roar to pass off.
* TakeThat: Siskel And Ebert gave Savage Steve Holland's previous film ''BetterOffDead'' a negative review, so at the end of the movie a pair of "Cute and fuzzy bunnies" who resemble them get blown up.
* ThePreciousPreciousCar: Teddy's red Ferrari, complete with VanityLicensePlate.
* VanityLicensePlate: On Teddys car, "[=CUL8R=]"
* WastebasketBall: Hoops plays a game of this just after producing another failed cartoon. The wastebasket, which is surrounded by a couple dozen crumpled-up papers, is ''completely empty''.