A 1995 film about four girls growing up in Shelby, Indiana. The bulk of the story takes place in a flashback to when the girls were 12 and is told from a single point of view.
Essentially a [[GenderFlip Gender-flipped]] version of the 1986 classic ''Film/StandByMe.'' '''Definitely''' '''not''' to be confused with the anime ''NowAndThenHereAndThere''.
The film includes the main characters both as 12-year-olds and as adults. Casting different actors.
* Samantha Albertson. In youth played by Gaby Hoffmann, in adulthood by Creator/DemiMoore.
* Chrissy De Witt. In youth played by Ashleigh Aston Moore, in adulthood by Rita Wilson.
* Roberta Martin. In youth played by Creator/ChristinaRicci, in adulthood by Rosie [=ODonnell=]
* Tina "Teeny" Tercell. In youth played by Creator/ThoraBirch, in adulthood by Melanie Griffith.
Written by I. Marlene King, who later developed [[PrettyLittleLiars another, very different story about four female friends]].
!!This film contains examples of:
* AdultsAreUseless: Played with; the girls' parents aren't monsters, but they're not exactly model parents. (Although it can be argued that, at the very least, Chrissy's mom's prudery is justified by the generation she grew up in (most likely the late 1940s/early '50s).
* BabiesEverAfter: [[spoiler: Chrissy and Morton.]]
* BewareTheNiceOnes: Do ''not'' fake your death in front of Chrissy. She's got a hell of a right hook.
* BlondeBrunetteRedhead: Teeny is blonde, Sam and Roberta are brunettes, and Chrissy has auburn hair.
* BookEnds: The story begins and ends with a game of "Red Rover".
* DeadpanSnarker: Roberta and Samantha had shades of this.
* DisappearedDad: Samantha's father walks out on the family. This is especially significant because of the time period ("At the time, no one had ever gotten a divorce, and the last thing I wanted was to be different.")
* DistaffCounterpart: The whole movie to ''Film/StandByMe'', except [[spoiler: no one dies.]]
* FishOutOfWater: How Sam feels coming back to her childhood home of Shelby, Indiana.
* FourGirlEnsemble: Chrissy is the sweet na´ve one, Teeny the fashionista, Roberta the tomboy and Samantha is the omniscient narrator.
*** Sanguine: Teeny.
*** Choleric: [[LovableJock Roberta]].
*** Melancholic: [[DeadpanSnarker Sam]].
*** Phegmatic: [[TeamMom Chrissy]].
*** The Cynic: Sam (she changes in the end though)
*** The Optimist: Teeny
*** The Realist: Chrissy
*** The Apathetic/Conflicted: Roberta, before and after she finds her mother's news article.
* GirlinessUpgrade: After Roberta's first kiss.
* GoneSwimmingClothesStolen: The girls' revenge ploy on the bullying Wormer boys.
* HypocriticalHumor: In the adult scenes, Chrissy repeatedly orders her friends not to swear around her unborn baby (she even thinks "breast" is a dirty word). Towards the end of the movie, she again tells Sam not to do this. The scene cuts to Chrissy [[spoiler: in the delivery room, having a very painful contraction,]] and screaming, "SHIT!" at the top of her lungs.
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: Scott Wormer.
* MissConception: Played straight with Chrissy's mother. Cleverly subverted in this exchange of dialogue:
-->'''Teeny:''' Have you ever been french kissed?
-->'''Chrissy:''' Are you kidding? I don't want to get pregnant.
-->'''Roberta:''' You can't get pregnant from kissing.
-->'''Chrissy:''' I know that, beetle brain. But, it's common knowledge, if you tongue kiss a boy, he automatically thinks you'll do the deed with him. It's the male curse.
* MissingMom: Roberta's mother died when she was 4.
* MisunderstoodLonerWithAHeartOfGold: [[spoiler: Crazy Pete]]
* NaiveEverygirl: Chrissy has shades of this.
* ParentWithNewParamour: Samantha's mother. Samantha is understandably Not Pleased.
* RaisedByDudes: How tomboy Roberta grew up.
* ScreamingBirth: [[spoiler:Chrissy, near the end of the film.]]
* SkinnyDipping: The Wormer boys at one point do this, and the girls catch them in the act, leading to GoneSwimmingClothesStolen (see above).
* SlapSlapKiss: Roberta and Scott Wormer.
* TheTalk: Chrissy's mother and her overprotective ways lead Chrissy to believe for years that sex is like gardening. ("Planting the seed, watering the flower")
* TomboyAndGirlyGirl: Chrissy and Roberta.
** To a lesser degree, [[DeadpanSnarker snarky]], [[TheSmartGuy smart girl]] Sam and flirty, [[AttentionWhore attention whoring]] glamour girl Teeny.
* WaterGunsAndBalloons: Early on in the film, the Wormers attack them with jello-filled balloons.