A 1995 film about four girls growing up in Shelby, Indiana. The bulk of the story takes place in a flashback to when the girls were 12 and is told from a single point of view.
Essentially a [[GenderFlip Gender-flipped]] version of the 1986 classic ''Film/StandByMe.'' '''Definitely''' '''not''' to be confused with the anime ''NowAndThenHereAndThere''.
The film includes the main characters both as 12-year-olds and as adults. Casting different actors.
* Samantha Albertson. In youth played by Gaby Hoffmann, in adulthood by Creator/DemiMoore.
* Chrissy De Witt. In youth played by Ashleigh Aston Moore, in adulthood by Rita Wilson.
* Roberta Martin. In youth played by Creator/ChristinaRicci, in adulthood by Rosie [=ODonnell=]
* Tina "Teeny" Tercell. In youth played by Creator/ThoraBirch, in adulthood by Melanie Griffith.
Written by I. Marlene King, who later developed [[PrettyLittleLiars another, very different story about four female friends]].
!!This film contains examples of:
* AdultsAreUseless: Played with; the girls' parents aren't monsters, but they're not exactly model parents.
* BewareTheNiceOnes: Do ''not'' fake your death in front of Chrissy. She's got a hell of a right hook.
* BookEnds: The story begins and ends with a game of "Red Rover".
* DeadpanSnarker: Roberta and Samantha had shades of this.
* DisappearedDad: Samantha's father walks out on the family. This is especially significant because of the time period ("At the time, no one had ever gotten a divorce, and the last thing I wanted was to be different.")
* FourGirlEnsemble: Chrissy is the sweet na´ve one, Teeny the fashionista, Roberta the tomboy and Samantha is the omniscient narrator.
* GoneSwimmingClothesStolen: The girls' revenge ploy on the bullying Wormer boys.
* HypocriticalHumor: In the adult scenes, Chrissy repeatedly orders her friends not to swear around her unborn baby (she even thinks "breast" is a dirty word). Towards the end of the movie, she again tells Sam not to do this. The scene cuts to Chrissy [[spoiler: in the delivery room, having a very painful contraction,]] and screaming, "SHIT!" at the top of her lungs.
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: Scott Wormer.
* MissConception: Played straight with Chrissy's mother. Cleverly subverted in this exchange of dialogue:
-->'''Teeny:''' Have you ever been french kissed?
-->'''Chrissy:''' Are you kidding? I don't want to get pregnant.
-->'''Roberta:''' You can't get pregnant from kissing.
-->'''Chrissy:''' I know that, beetle brain. But, it's common knowledge, if you tongue kiss a boy, he automatically thinks you'll do the deed with him. It's the male curse.
* MissingMom: Roberta's mother died when she was 4.
* MisunderstoodLonerWithAHeartOfGold: [[spoiler: Crazy Pete]]
* NaiveEverygirl: Chrissy has shades of this.
* ParentWithNewParamour: Samantha's mother. Samantha is understandably Not Pleased.
* ScreamingBirth: [[spoiler:Chrissy, near the end of the film.]]
* TheTalk: Chrissy's mother and her overprotective ways lead Chrissy to believe for years that sex is like gardening. ("Planting the seed, watering the flower")
* TomboyAndGirlyGirl: Chrissy and Roberta.