->''"Out of the darkness and into light, comes your horrorscope on this dark and stormy night."''
-->-- '''976-EVIL's greeeting message'''
''976-EVIL'' is a 1988 horror film directed by Creator/RobertEnglund.
Spike (the bad boy) and Hoax (the introverted nerd) are cousins who live with Hoaxís overly religious mother. They stumble across a mysterious premium-line phone number, 976-EVIL, which appears at first to be just a fun novelty hotline that offers creepy fortunes to those who call, but they soon discover that itís a direct line to hell--literally. Spike loses interest, but Hoax uses the powers the number gives him to exact revenge against everyone who has wronged him, inadvertently allowing his soul to be slowly taken over by Satan. Spike must race to stem the tide of destruction Hoax is perpetrating, hoping like hell that he can save his cousinís soul.
It was followed by a sequel, ''Film/NineSevenSixEvil2TheAstralFactor''.
!!Tropes associated with ''976-EVIL'':
* AndShowItToYou: Possessed Hoax kills two bullies offscreean, and returns to the poker game they were part of with their [[BeatStillMyHeart still-beating]] hearts in his hands.
-->'''Hoax:''' Would it be possible to enter the game with a pair of hearts?
* BigBad: Hoax eventuallt turn into one due to his reliance to he eponymous phone number.
* BigNo: This is Hoax's reaction when he's supernatural spider-prank against Suzie end up killing her.
* DeadMansHand: Marcus gets a pair of aces and eights in a poker game before he ends up being killed by possessed Hoax, but not before getting his hand cut off.
-->'''Hoax:''' ''That's'' a dead man's hand.
* EvilPhone: Spike and others who declined the phone line's offerings of power, get evil calls that mock and try to kill them.
* EvilSoundsDeep: Hoax's voice becomes deeper as he gives more and more in to the 976-EVIL's influence.
* FingerlessGloves: The evil phone number tries to persade Spike to steal a pair of these, but he proves to be tter person than that. Because of that, supernatural forces ty to have him killed.
* FromNobodyToNightmare: Hoax uses the powers granted by the phone line to get back at everyone who's wronged him.
* GreaterScopeVillain: The 976-EVIL phone number. It gives the demonic powers to Hoax, who becomes the main antagonist of the film; but while he is stopped, the number goes on existing.
* HauntedTechnology: When Spike won't comply to evil phone line's demands, an unmanned car starts up and tries to run him over.
* ManOnFire: When the man in the opening finally caves in and answers a demonically ringing phone, he is set on fire and the phone booth that he's in exlplodes.
* NumberOfTheBeast: To get their "horrorscope", the person calling the eponymous phone line must punch in the number 666.
* SinisterShades: When Hoax starts to embrace being possessed, he also starts wearing rounded sunglasses.
* TitleByNumber: By phone number, to be exact.
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: Or in this case, what happened to the skank? We never see the fate of Airhead's girlfriend after he is impaled on the neon pitchfork. Last we saw her, she was screaming in terror a few feet away from Hoax. Given how evil Hoax was, we can assume she perished soon after.