%% ZeroContextExample entries are not allowed on wiki pages. All such entries have been commented out. Add context to the entries before uncommenting them.
-> ''"This is real detective stuff!"\\
"YOU'RE NOT A REAL DETECTIVE!!"''
When they were seven years old, the [[http://www.mysteryteam-movie.com/ Mystery Team]] were three kids living in the same neighborhood in Oakdale who played at being precocious pre-teen detectives. With Jason (Donald Glover) as "the Master of Disguise," Duncan (D.C. Pierson) as "the Boy Genius" and Charlie (Dominic Dierkes) as "the Strongest Kid in Town," they would spend their afternoons getting to the bottom of such crimes as missing tricycles and stolen pies, charging ten cents (or fruit roll-ups) for their services.
However, while their peers have moved on to more mature pastimes now that they're eighteen years old, Jason, Duncan and Charlie are hopeless nerds stuck in pre-adolescence as they prepare to graduate from high school. Convinced all they need to do is prove their crime-busting talents to regain the respect of their peers, the Mystery Team step into a new class of detective work when a little girl asks them to find out who killed her parents.
The guys are up for the challenge, but it isn't long before dealing with real (and truly dangerous) criminals gets them in hot water...
Created and produced by members of the WebVideo/DerrickComedy troupe, ''Mystery Team'' received its world premiere at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival.
!!''Mystery Team'' provides examples of the following tropes:
* AbusiveParents: Hinted at with Charlie's dad a couple of times.
* AffectionateParody[=/=]DeconstructiveParody: Of KidDetective series in the ''Literature/EncyclopediaBrown'' / ''Three Investigators'' mode
* TheAggressiveDrugDealer: Jason offers this explanation when he can't tell Kelly the real reason Leroy is after him.
* BrickJoke: While talking to Kelly, Jason sees her Forensic Pathologist book and looks in and sees a photo of a victim, exclaiming "[[FacialHorror Somebody stole that guys' face]]!". That line is uttered again when [[spoiler: the cop sees Robert after [[AwesomeMomentOfCrowning Duncan takes him down with a slingshotted firecracker.]]]]
* CannotTellAJoke: Charlie tells a funny, fitting joke... and then proceeds to tell the EXACT SAME JOKE not one minute later, in an entirely inappropriate situation.
* CheerfulChild: Brianna, the girl who hired the Mystery Team in the first place. Well, cheerful for a girl whose parents just died.
* CloudCuckooLander: Jamie. The Mystery Team also has shades of this, mainly because of their childish behaviour.
* CoincidentalAccidentalDisguise: One of Jason's disguises actually works [[spoiler: because it so happens there's a costume party in the building and the guard assumes he's there for that rather than buying his claim that he's a mexican plumber.]]
* CoitusUninterruptus: When Jason unintentionally walks into a private room in the strip club.
* CountryMatters: Leroy uses it on his girlfriend Destiny.
* CringeComedy: All over the place
* DeconstructiveParody: What if Kid Detectives grew up but with a kid detective mentality? This time the cases they're trying to solve is more adult than they can handle.
** Charlie. They're ''all'' pretty dumb, but Charlie takes the cake. He did manage to get into college somehow, though he can't even keep straight which college.
** Leroy's girlfriend, Destiny, isn't very bright either, to say the least.
* DriverFacesPassenger: Played in a more realistic way than usual. Leroy keeps turning around to yell at the protagonists, and in response, Duncan repeatedly requests for him to focus on the road. [[spoiler:It turns out to be good advice.]]
* DrivesLikeCrazy: Leroy.
* ExactWords: Jason keeps pulling this on Kelly to keep working on the case
* FlexingThoseNonBiceps: Charlie does this when he says, "And I'm Charlie, the strongest kid in town."
* GirlsHaveCooties: When his mother suggests he go to a party with girls, Jason simply says that girls are gross.
* GoodCopBadCop: Used on ''Brianna'' the little girl that hired them when they initially interview her. Subverted in that they tell her they're playing pretend and she thinks its fun after that.
* GoryDiscretionShot: We never see the aftermath of the firecracker to [[spoiler:Robert's]] face.
* TheGuardsMustBeCrazy: Jason actually tricks a lumberyard employee into giving him Leroy's address by claiming to be Leroy and asking for the address the lumberyard has for Leroy in its computer; Leroy needs it since he plans on moving to Guam.
* HeKnowsTooMuch: The reason [[spoiler:Robert]] gives for [[spoiler:killing Leroy and Destiny.]]
* JustAFleshWound: [[spoiler:"Ow! I was shot there!"]]
** [[spoiler:"Big deal, I been shot like three times!"]]
* InsaneTrollLogic: Duncan's basic reasoning behind drinking dog urine as a method of sanitizing his hand after having reached into a filthy toilet: Dogs' mouths are cleaner than those of humans, dog urine is easier to procure than dog saliva and must be equally clean, and drinking it is more efficient than rubbing it on your hand.
* KidDetective: The main characters, despite being 18. The film focuses on them maturing out of this role. They feature:
** Jason, the [[PaperThinDisguise Master Of Disguise]]
** Duncan, the [[TheSmartGuy Boy Genius]] (he memorized a book of Wacky Facts in the 2nd Grade)
** Charlie, the [[TheBigGuy Strongest Kid in Town]] (at least relative to the Boy Genius).
* LifeIsntFair: If life was fair, Jason would have gotten a bike for his birthday instead of that stupid car.
* ManChild: The main characters and Jamie (Ellie Kemper's character). Jamie turns out to be [[spoiler:crazy/"disabled"]], and as for the boys, [[spoiler:Duncan only keeps it up out of friendship. He and Charlie actually applied to college while Jason didn't.]]
* MisfitMobilizationMoment: The ending, to an extent.
* MotivationalKiss: Played more or less straight, except that Jason doesn't actually know how to kiss and just blows into the love interest's mouth.
* OnlySaneMan: Duncan, again compared to the other two
* PaperThinDisguise: For most of the movie Jason's disguises don't work. [[spoiler: He disguises himself as a mexican plumber which basically means bandito with a plunger, but the security guard lets him pass because its a costume party.]]
* PrecisionFStrike: Delivered by Duncan after a fight.
** [[spoiler:Jason when he's bleeding from a gunshot wound.]]
* PrisonRape: The standard "You know what happens in jail?" line is subverted when Duncan ends it with "No TV!"
* PsychoForHire: Leroy has shades of it. [[spoiler:He was the one who killed Kelly and Brianna's parents, and from what we hear, Robert didn't necessarily intend for him to do that, but he ended up doing it anyway, and he treats it like it's something trivial.]]
* RagingStiffie: The trio sport awkwardly noticeable tents after receiving lap dances.
* SayingTooMuch: Several instances.
** "I wish they'd all disappear like UsefulNotes/TheLostColonyOfRoanoke. But they'd probably go, 'What's Roanoke?' And I'd go, 'Shut up, ''Caleb.'' '"
** "Following your dreams is never stupid, unless you dream about water and then you pee the bed last Thursday."
** "Forensic pathologists study the dead. Goths dress like the dead and date closeted gay guys named Ember."
** "We won't tell the police." "Oh man, now you sound like Dad."
** The movie's first mystery involves the culprit sticking his fingers in a pie to see if it felt like a vagina [[Film/AmericanPie like in that movie]].
** Jason has the same outfit as [[Videogame/EarthBound Ness]], Duncan has the same hairstyle and outfit as [[Videogame/EarthBound Jeff]], and Charlie is basically [[VideoGame/EarthBoundBeginnings Teddy]].
* StrangeMindsThinkAlike: Jason sees a photograph in Kelly's book about forensic pathology and disgustedly exclaims "Someone stole that guy's face!" [[spoiler: Much later, when Robert gets a firecracker to the face, the police officer who finds him says the same thing]].
* [[TrademarkFavoriteFood Trademark Favorite Drink]]: Chocolate milk for the trio.
* TroublingUnchildlikeBehavior: the kid the team keeps running into [[spoiler: and who Jason gives the Mystery Team stall to at the end of the movie]]
* VomitDiscretionShot: Zigzagged. When Duncan vomits up the dog urine mentioned above in "InsaneTrollLogic", he's off-camera for the actual act... but the vomit itself projects into the shot and all over Jordan and Kelly.
* WrongGenreSavvy: The essential gag.
* VulgarHumor: The gentlemen's club scene, and to a lesser extent, the scene right after it, which indulges in urine and vomit jokes. Also, there's anytime that Eric, an unbelievably foul-mouthed 8 year old, opens his mouth.
* YouWouldntShootMe: "Because you're not a killer." [[spoiler:Immediately subverted.]]