A 1991 RoadMovie about a [[HookerWithAHeartOfGold gay narcoleptic male prostitute]] who is looking for his long lost mother, along the way realising that he is in love with his best friend, also a prostitute. The friend, however, is wealthy and only whoring himself to annoy his father, and decides to quit prostitution when he comes into his inheritance.
Features a DownerEnding and NoEnding with Mike abandoned collapsed on the road on which he began the movie. The implication is that his story will continue in much the same way, or as he says, "This road will never end. It probably goes all around the world."
As the credits roll, a car drives along and a man jumps out, picks Mike up, drags him into the car and drives off with him.
Part of the movie is indeed set in Idaho, but a fair amount takes part in Portland, Oregon, and Italy. Part of the plot is based on Creator/WilliamShakespeare's ''HenryIV'', with Bob as Falstaff and Scott as Prince Hal. In addition, much of the dialogue between Bob and Scott is paraphrased from ''Henry IV''.
!! This film provides examples of::
* DepravedHomosexual: Many of the hustlers' clients.
* DoubleEntendre: ''Homo on ranch. Ready to ride''.
* FaceHeelTurn: Scott, who started out as incredibly caring towards his best friend then for some reason abruptly became a JerkAss who didn't care about him. Italy did it to him.
* HookerWithAHeartOfGold: Mike Waters.
* IncompatibleOrientation: [[spoiler: Mike loves Scott.]]
* LivingMacGuffin: Mike's mother.
* [[spoiler: ParentalIncest]]
* PietaPlagiarism: When Mike falls asleep, Scott often carries him about in this manner.
* TitledAfterTheSong: "Private Idaho" by Music/TheB52s, which contains the refrain "you're living in ''your own private Idaho''". Oddly, the song is never heard or referenced at any point in the film.