->People here are funny. They work so hard at living they forget how to live.
--> -- '''Longfellow Deeds'''
''Mr. Deeds Goes To Town'' is a 1936 classic film directed by Creator/FrankCapra, which won him the second of three Oscars. It stars Creator/GaryCooper as Longfellow Deeds, a smalltown tuba player who is suddenly left a massive fortune by his rich uncle. He moves to the big city, where everyone wants a piece of his fortune. IntrepidReporter Babe Bennett (Jean Arthur) meets Longfellow, initially exploiting his simpleness to advance her journalistic career but gradually finding herself falling for him. However, it's the Deeds family [[AmoralAttorney attorney]], the scheming Mr. Cedar, whose greed will provide the biggest obstacle for Mr Deeds.
It was remade, quite loosely, as the 2002 Creator/AdamSandler vehicle ''MrDeeds''.
!!This work features examples of:
* AmoralAttorney: Mr. Cedar
* BreakUpMakeUpScenario: When Deeds discovers Babe lied. She has to tell that she loves him in court to make him defend himself.
* CloudCuckoolander: Deeds can act like this sometimes. [[spoiler:Deconstructed, because it nearly gets him declared insane.]]
** Some of the poeple from town qualify as well.
* CountryMouse: Longfellow.
* DecoyDamsel: Babe first pretends to be a DamselInDistress in order to meet Deeds.
* FriendToAllLivingThings: Deeds
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: A conversation between a newspaper and his employees about "Dirty Plaster."
** Also the following exchange:
-->'''Deeds''': Did you hear him? Talking about women as if they were cattle...
-->'''Servant''': Well, each man has his own [[BestialityIsDepraved tastes.]]
* GoodIsNotDumb: Mr. Deeds is a kind and sympathetic man. But many people in the movie mistake him for being a pushover, when he is clearly an intelligent man.
* HiddenDepths: Babe (and the audience) slowly begin to realise Deeds is not simply a naive hayseed. He quickly cottons on when he is being mocked by his fellow poets and shows himself to be a deep and rather eloquent thinker.
-->People [[UsefulNotes/NewYork here]] are funny. They work so hard at living - they forget how to live. Last night, after I left you, I was walking along and looking at the tall buildings and I got to thinking about what Thoreau said. They created a lot of grand palaces here - but they forgot to create the noblemen to put in them.
* MeaningfulName: ''Deeds'', get it?
* NiceJobFixingItVillain: [[spoiler:Deeds is knocked out of his depressed stupor at the end of the movie when the prosecuting attorney forces Babe to admit she loves Deeds so he can treat her as a hostile witness]].
* OnlySaneMan: Almost referenced by name at the end: [[spoiler: "It is the opinion of this court that, not only are you sane, but you are the sanest man who ever walked into this courtroom!"]]
* [[QuirkyHousehold Quirky Townsfolk]]
* TheRemake: The 2002 remake staring Adam Sandler of all people!
* SourSupporter: Cobb.
* SpitTake: Cobb does an epic one when he finds out that Deeds is only concerned about where the town band will find another tuba player.
* ThoseTwoGuys: Babe's photographer duo.
* ThrowingOutTheScript: A Capra staple trope.