''[=McLintock!=]'' is a 1963 American-made film, directed by Andrew V. [=McLaglen=], and starring Creator/JohnWayne and Creator/MaureenOHara.
Cattle baron George Washington [=McLintock=] (John Wayne) is living the single life on his ranch. He is estranged from his snobbish wife, Katherine (Maureen O'Hara), who left him two years before. [=McLintock=] hires young Devlin Warren as a hand and his beautiful mother, Louise Warren, as his cook and welcomes their family into his home. He also butts heads with Matt Douglas, a sleazy bureaucrat who is looking to discredit [=McLintock=], and remove the local Indians. Sparks begin to fly as an unexpected turn of events results in brawls, gunfire, an Indian attack... and the return of Mrs. [=McLintock=], who wants custody over their daughter Becky (coming home from college) and a divorce from G.W.
!!The film has the following tropes:
* BadassFamily: The [=McLintock=] family.
* BelligerentSexualTension: Boy Howdy!
-->"Half the people in the world are women. Why does it have to be you that stirs my passion?"
* BenevolentBoss: [=McLintock=] is very much this. When he hires Devlin, he secretly gives Drago some money to give the proud young man and his struggling family, saying, "Tell him I pay my men a month in advance."
* ButtMonkey: Agard (played by Strother Martin) is always in the wrong place at the wrong time whenever some kind of a fighting event breaks out.
* CampCook: Louise Warren, but she's a really ''good'' cook.
* CattleBaron: [=McLintock=]; he started out as a rancher and worked long and hard so his wife and daughter would prosper.
* [[ChineseLaborer Chinese Shop Owner]]: Ching, until he retires and is made "part of the family" by [=McLintock=] so he won't work himself too hard.
--> '''Ching:''' Crummy family, crummy family!
* DaddysGirl: Becky.
* DeterminedHomesteadersWife: Katie started out as this, then she became a stuffy RichBitch.
* FieryRedhead: Maureen O'Hara's character, Katherine; her behavior certanly fits that red hair.
* TheGeneralsDaughter: Averted, in that [=McLintock=] respects Devlin as a hard worker and a fine young man; when he and Becky announce their engagement at the end of the movie, he is overjoyed.
* HotMom: It's Maureen O'Hara for God's sake!
* HypocriticalHumor: From the Duke himself:
-->'''George Washington [=McClintock=]:''' I know, I know. I'm gonna use good judgement. I haven't lost my temper in forty years, but pilgrim you caused a lot of trouble this morning, [[WhatTheHellHero might have got somebody killed]]... and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't. The ''hell'' I won't! ''(Belts Jones in the mouth)''
* InjunCountry: Actually the Indians were fighting to ''stay'' in one particular part of the country, unfortunately [[IdiotBall Cuthbert H. Humphrey]] had other ideas.
* MistakenForCheating: Katherine fled two years earlier under the mistaken belief [=McLintock=] had cheated on her. Coming home to find Mrs. Warren working in the house doesn't help matters...
* NoExceptYes: GW is ''not'' intoxicated. Yet.
* ObstructiveBureaucrat: C. H. Humphrey. And a stupid one at that!
-->"Cuthbert H. Humphrey, Governor of our territory, is a cull. Do you know what a cull is, ma'am? A cull is a specimen that is so worthless that you have to cut him out of the herd. Now if all the people in the world were put in one herd, Cuthbert is the one I would throw a rope at."
* [[OnlySaneMan Only Sane Indian]]: Running Buffalo, along with the rest of the Comanche. They're standing around most of the movie watching crazy white folk act up.
* PunchPunchPunchUhOh: Devlin gets in a fight with a local ruffian during the welcome home celebration for Becky. Devlin takes care of the ruffian but then the ruffian's ''uncle'' shows up expecting justice. Devlin throws a mean punch, but the old man doesn't flinch and Devlin gets an OhCrap look on his face before the old man realizes what happened and decks the young'un with one blow.
* RecycledInSpace: It's ''Theatre/TheTamingOfTheShrew''... in TheWildWest!
* RuleOfFunny: The fight scene near the mud-hole, everyone that ''could'' fall in... did.
* RunningGag: [=McLintock=] tossing his hat onto the weathervane atop his home. Up to 310 at last count.
* SouthernGentleman: Ol' Douglas Jr. tries to be this, but mostly comes across as a hapless geek.
* SuspiciouslySimilarSubstitute: if this movie has the look and feel of a JohnFord production... it's because it uses a lot of Ford's ProductionPosse in the cast and crew.
* SpankTheCutie: Twice. Each time, it looks like the spankee will be saved at the last moment by someone intervening... only for them to hand the spanker a trowel to use.
* TheSavageIndian: Parodied. The town leaders treat the local Comanche tribe like neighbors for the most part. It's mostly outsiders - and inept Humphrey - who mistreat them and drive them to go on the warpath... something that doesn't even bother [=McLintock=] and his fellows one whit.
* YouWouldntHitAGuyWithGlasses: Ol' Jr. [[InvokedTrope puts on a pair]] after he's told that ''somebody'' should put a stop to a fist fight he's currently watching.