A 2008 Norwegian film about the eponymous World War II resistance fighter Maximo "Max" Manus, who after a short deployment fighting Russians in Finland returns to Norway to find it occupied by the Germans, and ends up joining a British special forces unit to conduct commando missions around Norway. Notable as one of the highest-grossing Norwegian films ever, as well as sparking much domestic debate about the glorification of the resistance movement.
!!Provides examples of:
* AnyoneCanDie - played straight and foreshadowed: in the beginning of the film, it is made clear to Max that chances of survival in the commando unit is minimal. The scene where the group plans their first raid, operation Mardonius, is notable in this regard because [[spoiler: out of all the people in the scene, only Max survives the war]].
* BasedOnATrueStory - though with a few notable exceptions, such as overplaying Max's role in Finland, where it is not certain if he saw any action at all. Though Maximo Manus himself was not alive when the movie was released, his widow stated that she found it an accurate portrayal.
* BalconyEscape - Max Manus. ''Twice in a row''.
* BittersweetEnding - the film ends with the death of Hitler and the liberation of Europe. However, [[spoiler: Max Manus is pretty much a mental wreck at this point, having lost countless close friends and blaming himself for their deaths, and feeling obsolete and worthless without a war ("nothing is more pathetic than a soldier no one has a use for"). He's also [[DidNotGetTheGirl given up on ever getting Tikken to fall in love with him]]. Although he does end up marrying Tikken, the 'conclusion text' before the end credits reveal that he will [[ShellShockedVeteran struggle with depression and alcoholism for the rest of his life]].]]
* BreakTheCutie - Max Manus himself, as well as [[spoiler: Tallak when he is captured by the Germans]].
* ExpectingSomeoneTaller - "Tikken"'s first meeting with Max Manus.
* ForeignLanguageTirade - at one point, a disillusioned and possibly slightly delirious Max delivers a heartfelt monologue about his resistance fight to a German soldier who appears to not understand his language. [[spoiler: Fortunately, reality does not ensue here -- he really doesn't understand Norwegian]].
* LightIsNotGood - Fehmer is blond, courteous, cultured and loves the country he is helping occupy - so much, in fact, that he does not balk at torture and killing to get rid of the resistance fighters.
* MacGuffin - Max Manus is obsessed with sinking the "Donau", a huge and heavily armed German cargo ship shipping supplies and prisoners between Norway and Germany on a daily basis.
* MeetCute - Max and his love "Tikken", one of the women in Sweden helping the Allied resistance fighters.
* ThoseWackyNazis - Fehmer being an example of the cultured one.
* OlderThanTheyLook - Kjakan.
* RealityEnsues - there are several scenes which fans of action films would expect to turn out differently than they do. [[spoiler: For example, when Max Manus jumps ''through'' a closed window, several stories over a cobblestone street, he is heavily injured both by the cuts and the impact with the ground, and ends up bedridden in a hospital. There is also a scene where two of his comrades meet with an alleged Nazi informant in a cafe, only to realize they've walked into a setup and that they are surrounded by heavily armed Nazis. Perhaps suprisingly to fans of Hollywood flicks, they ''don't'' miracoulously win the ensuing firefight.]]
* SurprisinglyGoodForeignLanguage - the German actor playing the German Gestapo officer Siegfried Fehmer did not speak a word of Norwegian when he was hired. Undeterred, he decided to teach himself Norwegian for his participation in the film.
* SurvivorGuilt - one of Max's biggest weaknesses is that he seems to [[ItsAllMyFault blame himself]] every time one of his comrades dies.