2006 movie directed by Creator/TylerPerry. While planning her family reunion, the pistol-packing grandma, Mabel "Madea" Simmons, must contend with the other dramas on her plate, including the runaway who has been placed under her care, and her troubled nieces, half-sisters Lisa and Vanessa.
* AbusiveParents: Victoria is emotionally abusive to both her daughters even though they're now adults. She makes it perfectly clear to Vanessa's face that she thinks her children are bastards and wishes she never gave birth to her, and keeps Lisa wrapped around her finger so she can use her trust fund. [[spoiler: There's also the fact that she let Lisa's father rape Vanessa with a clear conscience.]]
* BatheHerAndBringHerToMe: A ''very'' disturbing example occurred to Vanessa as a child. [[spoiler: As a child, her mother allowed her stepfather to rape her in order to stop him from leaving the family and she cleaned her and dressed her up before he committed the act.]]
* BeenThereShapedHistory: Parodied when Madea tells the wedding planner "I shot Tupac!" and then mentions she's referring to a separate incident other than the performer's death.
* ChekhovsGun: Which doubles as sort of a BlackComedy BrickJoke. Medea tells Lisa a story about how she handled a person that was similar to Carlos by scalding him with a pot of hot grits and beating him while he was in pain. You think she was just exaggerating as usual. [[spoiler: But near the end of the movie, when Carlos comes to Medea's home to reclaim Lisa and Medea heads out to give them privacy, she reminds Lisa of said story and motions to the pot on the stove. Take a wild guess what happens next?]]
* BrokenBird: Vanessa, and she is trying very hard to overcome it. [[spoiler: She eventually does.]]
** Victoria herself has been broken since her junky mother sold her for "ten dollars and a fix."
* BullyHunter: The school bully on the bus discovers what happens if one fails to know who the foster parent when targeting Nikki. He should’ve been on the outlook for three simple words: '''Mabel “Madea” Simmons'''.
* ChekhovsGun: About the boiling hot grits.
* DirtyOldMan: Joe, Madea's brother.
* DisproportionateRetribution: Carlos painfully squeezes Lisa back just for yawning while having a late evening out with friends.
* DomesticAbuser: Carlos, Lisa's fiance.
* EstablishingShot: A very long one at the beginning to show that it is in Atlanta.
* EvilMatriarch: Vanessa and Lisa's mother, Victoria and how.
* FallingInLoveMontage: Vanessa and Frankie, and an inversion later on with Carlos and Lisa showing how much he abused her.
* GoldDigger: Victoria, due to her wanting Lisa to marry Carlos because of his money, ignoring the fact that he's a DomesticAbuser.
* GoodParents: Vanessa and Frankie are this to their respective children.
* InsaneTrollLogic: Victoria tries to rationalize the fact that [[spoiler: she let her second husband, Lisa's father and Vanessa's stepfather, rape Vanessa in order to get him to stay,]] saying that Vanessa "saved the family". Vanessa flat out asks Victoria if she's insane. Victoria responds "I'm a realist".
* InsultBackfire: When told by Vanessa that she was going to rot in hell, Victoria responds "I vacation there!"
* KickTheSonOfABitch: "I left [[spoiler: some grits on the stove. They're nice]] and ''hot''."
* RapeAsDrama: Vanessa was [[spoiler: dolled up for her stepfather to rape her so that he wouldn't leave her mother.]]
* RichBitch: Victoria, or more rather, she has the "Bitch" part down pat but for "Rich?" She's pretty much broke and has been draining the trust fund Lisa's father set up for her to maintain her wealthy image, which is why she's been trying to make sure Lisa marries Carlos.
* SingleWomanSeeksGoodMan: Vanessa and Frankie.
* StopBeingStereotypical: The wedding planner tells Madea this.
* TooMuchInformation: Joe to Frankie, whom he told he had once passed gas on an airplaine. Justified in that [[ScrewPolitenessImASenior Joe's an elderly man and not exactly the epitome of tact.]]
* TheUnfavorite: Vanessa is this to Victoria, as the latter has hated her from childhood because she hated her father for leaving them.
* WouldHitAGirl: Well, Carlos isn't the film's antagonist for nothing...
* WhyDidYouMakeMeHitYou: Invoked by Victoria, who tells Lisa to simply stop doing whatever it is she does that makes Carlos hit her when Lisa tells her Carlos has been abusing her. This is during the first few minutes of the film and acts as Victoria's EstablishingCharacterMoment when immediately after Victoria orders her lunch as if Lisa just commented on the passing weather.
* WhyWasteAWedding: Near the end, Lisa decides to [[spoiler: cancel her wedding to Carlos after he abused her. The wedding planner laments that her lavish Paris-themed wedding will not be used. Vanessa's boyfriend Frankie decides to propose to her right then. She accepts and they get married.]]