''Les Misérables'' is a 1998 film based on [[Literature/LesMiserables the novel by Victor Hugo]]. Directed by Bille August, it stars Creator/LiamNeeson as Jean Valjean and Creator/GeoffreyRush as Inspector Javert.
!!This film provides examples of:
* AdaptationNameChange: Fauchelevent is renamed Lafitte. The prisoners at the trial also get this.
** The town Valjean becomes mayor of is called Vigau instead of Montreuil.
* AdaptationalVillainy: Javert, so much. Also Valjean punches out the Bishop during the robbery.
** [[spoiler:The change to Javert's suicide. Valjean is ''right in front of him'', does nothing to stop him, and just walks away, relieved. This, after he'd already saved his life once.]]
* AbusiveParents: Averted. The scene where Valjean slaps Cosette is clearly the only time he’s done so, to the shock and dismay of the two. Cosette calls him out on it.
* AllStarCast: Creator/LiamNeeson, Creator/GeoffreyRush , Creator/UmaThurman , Creator/ClaireDanes ...
* CaliforniaDoubling: Much of the film was shot in the Czech Republic, mainly for the period architecture; due to the march of time, parts of Prague now look more like 19th-century Paris than Paris does.
* CompositeCharacter: Marius takes on Enjolras' place as the leader of the Friends of the ABC (although there is still a character named Enjolras in the film).
* CompressedAdaptation: The emphasis is on Jean Valjean and Javert, with other plot threads reduced or cut entirely. Even the romance of Marius and Cosette is reduced (and is not a love triangle with Eponine, who like all the Thénardiers is barely in it).
* FreudianExcuse: Played with. Javert cooly explains to Valjean that his father was a thief and his mother a prostitute, which he notes is a parentage he is ashamed of, but will not hide. His dedication to the law is clearly a polarized response to his parents, but he clearly has a particular hatred for prostitutes. This is demonstrated when he allows Fantine to be brutalized, and kicks the dog.
* InspectorJavert: Javert, obviously. He’s also a KnightTemplar to his superior.
* KickTheDog: Javert is a fan of this trope, and in an especially cruel way, [[spoiler:terrorizes Fantine on her death bed]].
* TheMole: One of the Friends of the ABC is an infiltrator, feeding Javert info. [[spoiler:Javert himself also tries to pull this off, but gets caught when Gavroche identifies him.]]
* TheQueensLatin: Despite being set in France, English accents are to go, with those actors who hail from beyond the British Isles assuming suitable accents for the occasion.
* RaceLift: Enjolras is black.
* ShownTheirWork: Valjean's stuttering housekeeper and Javert's snuff habit are retained, details often cut.
* SparedByTheAdaptation: Jean Valjean is still alive at the end of the movie, though this could just be due to the fact that the film ends long before the book did.
* ToBeLawfulOrGood: Javert. [[spoiler:This question leads to his demise, as he can’t reconcile the two to each other]].