'''Legend of Eight Samurai''' ('''''Satomi Hakkenden''''') is a 1983 Japanese fantasy blockbuster from Kinji Fukasaku, the director of ''Film/BattleRoyale'', set in the Edo period. It's based on a 19th century Japanese epic.
!!This film features examples of:
* AnyoneCanDie: Those poor kids...
* BlindIdiotTranslation: The English dub makes reference to ninja; also, the English-language trailer infamously can't decide whether the title is '''Legend of Eight Samurai''' or '''Legend of Eight Ninjas'''. Apart from the fact that ninja are more concerned about covert activity than honor, '''Legend of Eight Ninjas''' is grammatically incorrect.
* DueToTheDead: Shinbei and Princess Shizu give the two kids who died in the village raid a proper burial.
* GenderFlip: Keno's biologically female in this one, as opposed to a crossdressing male as in the original.
* HeelFaceTurn: Genpachi has one after discovering the crystal in his hand during a village raid. He promptly abandons his own troops and joins Dosetsu's group.
* KnightInSourArmor: Shinbei.
* RedemptionEqualsDeath: Genpachi volunteers to scout for traps in the BigBad's hideout "because I've killed too many people just for sport, even women and children!" [[spoiler:Naturally, he's the first of the eight to die.]]
* SweetPollyOliver: Early in the film, Princess Shizu disguises herself as a young boy in order to conceal her identity from the BigBad's troops.