'''''Last Year at Marienbad''''' is a Surrealist 1961 French film directed by Alain Resnais.
At a European chateau resort for the rich, a man runs into a woman whom he claims to have met before, specifically [[TitleDrop last year at the resort town Marienbad]]. She repeatedly denies this, although it is unclear if she is lying or not. Further complicating things is a second man (who may or may not be the woman's husband) who keeps finding ways to demean the first, particularly during repeated games of Nim.
[[MindScrew At least, that seems to be the plot.]]
It is worth noting that the movie is heavily self-referential: if you pay attention, a lot of what seems to come out of nowhere has either been subtly set up earlier, or ties into something later. It's extremely complex, and has a LoveItOrHateIt reputation even among art film fans.
!!Tropes Associated With This Movie
* AlienGeometries: Resnais shot the film in several different European castles, then edited it together in such a way as to create a disorienting, unclear sense of the scale and structure of the castle.
* TheBeautifulElite: The movie takes place at a castle resort for the extremely wealthy, what else did you expect?
* ChekhovsArmoury: Nearly every single thing in the movie refers back to something else.
* CostumePorn: And lots of it. Tends to happen when one of your costumers is Coco Chanel.
* GameOfNim: TropeMaker.
* MindScrew: And ''how''.
* NoNameGiven: None of the main characters are given names. In the script, the woman is "A", the first man is "X" and the second is "M".
* RapeDiscretionShot: It seems to happen, maybe... it's not very clear. The man even tries to correct himself when he thinks about it.
* SharpDressedMan: Every last one of the men.
** At about the 13 minute mark you can see a stairwell where a cut-out of Creator/AlfredHitchcock is barely visible.
** One scene of Delphine Seyrig lounging on the bed is a hommage to ''Gilda'', using similar lighting and costume.
* SceneryPorn: The castle setting is as much a character as the actors, with lots of tracking and wide shots to take it all in.