''Larry Crowne'' is a 2011 comedy starring, co-written, produced and directed by Creator/TomHanks and co-starring Creator/JuliaRoberts. Hanks plays a Navy veteran who gets fired from his job at a Target-esque big box store after it is revealed that he never went to college. He decides to enroll at a local community college and in the process finds a new world previously unknown to him. The film documents his first semester and the people around him.
!! ''Larry Crowne'' has examples of the following tropes:
* AuthorAppeal: Creator/TomHanks and ''Franchise/StarTrek''.
* BackToSchool: Larry.
* BlandNameProduct: Larry's job in the beginning of the film is at a store called U-Mart (an obvious reference to K-Mart) and looks like your average Target.
* BuxomIsBetter as far as Mercedes' husband is concerned.
* CarryingACake: Mercedes' husband is trying to get a cheesecake home.
* CelebrityParadox: Evidently. One student gives a presentation on Star Trek, yet no one recognizes that GeorgeTakei is an Economics teacher.
* ComedicUnderwearExposure: Larry is taken to a room full of clothes, and he's asked to try some of them on. As he's stripping down, someone comes in, as Larry is standing there in just his tighty whities.
* DirectedByCastMember: Creator/TomHanks.
* EmbarrassingTattoo: Talia gets a free tattoo when she starts her shop next to a tattoo parlor. It supposedly means "strong mind" but apparently actually reads "soy sauce".
* FeetFirstIntroduction: Some introduction shots of Creator/JuliaRoberts' character begin with her (shoes and then) feet.
* LateForSchool: Larry and others.
* ManicPixieDreamGirl: A subversion. Talia initially seems to be set up for this role, but she never becomes Larry's love interest. In fact, she turns out to be a pretty astute entrepreneur, who respects Larry's grasp of economics. Lampshaded by Mercedes and Dell, who [[WrongGenreSavvy keep expecting this trope to manifest]].
* TheNicknamer: Talia gives nicknames to everyone, herself included.
* TeacherStudentRomance: Subverted, because they wait until Larry graduates.
** Well they wait until he leaves her class and he dosen't enroll in her next one next fall to purposfully avert this.