''La Jetée'' ("The Pier") is a classic short 1962 black and white French ScienceFiction film. It is takes place in a post-apocalyptic future in which humanity has been forced underground due to the aftermath of WorldWarIII and faces extinction from lack of resources. A series of TimeTravel experiments take place with a prisoner as the subject, in hopes of being able to remedy humanity's present situation.
The film is notable for being shot almost entirely as a series of still images, without dialogue other than some mumbled German.
It was adapted in a more mainstream full length film entitled''Film/TwelveMonkeys''. Music/DavidBowie also references the film in his video for "[[Music/BlackTieWhiteNoise Jump They Say]]".
* AffablyEvil: The experimenter probably qualifies.
* ApocalypseHow: Class 4.
* AppliedPhlebotinum: Time travel works by apparently putting little masks with strings or wires over your eyes.
* BittersweetEnding: [[spoiler:The protagonist succeeds in convincing the people of the future to help humanity in the past, and is even rescued by them after the regime [[YouHaveOutlivedYourUsefulness opts to have him executed]]. Instead of traveling with them into the nigh-impermeable future, he heads into the past instead to be with the girl, leaving him open to the regime's attempt to kill him and set up a stable time loop. In short, humanity is saved with the promise of a good future, but the protagonist dies in the process.]]
* CrystalSpiresAndTogas: [[spoiler:The protagonist glimpses a version of this when he is sent into the future.]]
* NoNameGiven: None of the characters have names.
* [[OminousLatinChanting Ominous Russian Chanting]]
* PhotoMontage: The film is made up of still photos, with panning effects to imply motion. Except for [[spoiler: a literal "blink and you'll miss it", when the Woman opens her eyes.]]
* [[spoiler:StableTimeLoop]]: [[EnforcedTrope Enforced]] twice: [[spoiler:With the time traveler convincing the people of the future to help the people of the past survive, and with the jailer killing him to create the memory that made it possible for him to travel in time in the first place.]]
* [[spoiler:YouCantFightFate]]: [[spoiler:The man's love for the girl ultimately gets him killed.]]