''Karla'' is a 2006 American motion picture drama and thriller. The film is based on the true story of two of Canada's most notorious serial killers, Paul Bernardo (Creator/MishaCollins) and Karla Homolka (LauraPrepon).
!!This film provides examples of the following tropes:
* CaliforniaDoubling: An extreme case of it, as the movie was shot in America with an all-American cast because no one in Canada wanted ''anything'' to do with the production.
* HistoricalVillainDowngrade: Karla reimagined as Bernado's victim.
* PsychopathicManchild: Paul Bernardo
-->'''Paul:''' Hey, babe.\\
'''Karla:''' Where have you been?\\
'''Paul:''' I just raped a girl.
* RapeDiscretionShot: Several shots of Paul Bernardo grabbing a girl from behind, then stops before the rape.
* RapeIsASpecialKindOfEvil : Bernardo, in addition to the murders he (or the couple) committed, was also The Scarborough Rapist.
* RippedFromTheHeadlines: The Bernardo-Homolka case is one of the most notorious in Canadian crime history.
* TheSociopath: Paul Bernardo
* SerialRapist: Paul Bernardo
* SerialKiller: Paul Bernardo
* VeryLooselyBasedOnATrueStory: The story itself is (sadly) quite true to reality, but mistakenly portrayed Homolka as yet another victim of Bernardo's sociopathic antics - despite the fact that it's long-since been established that she was just as culpable as Bernardo. The Canadian media and public were understandably appalled.
** This is arguable, however, as Karla's "victimization" at the hands of Bernardo was her main line of defense during the court case.