%% ZeroContextExample entries are not allowed on wiki pages. All such entries have been commented out. Add context to the entries before uncommenting them.
[[quoteright:300:http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/jsabyungka_3413.jpg]] Joint Security Area (JSA) is a film by acclaimed Korean director Creator/ParkChanWook. It centered around an investigation by United Nations officials of a fatal shooting incident that occurred in the Demilitarized Zone between North and South Korea. When released, it was the highest-grossing Korean film of all time.
!!The film contains examples of:
* ChekhovsGunman: [[spoiler:Sung-shik, who is initially another unimportant guard; after attempting suicide, he is revealed to have been sneaking over the border too, and to be the second shooter.]]
* DrivenToSuicide: [[spoiler: Both South Korean soldiers: Sung-shik throws himself out of the window when threatened with a lie-detector test; and Soo-hyeok shoots himself after explaining everything.]]
* FauxFluency: The United Nations investigator unraveling the mystery at the DMZ is a Korean actress who obviously learned her English lines phonetically. Later versions completely dubbed her lines with a native English speaker.
* ForegoneConclusion: The friendship between the soldiers will end badly.
* FramingDevice: The main story is told in a series of flashbacks as the UN investigator tries to find out the truth about a murder.
* RashomonStyle: Though there is also a great deal of additional investigation besides the interrogations
* ShownTheirWork: With a highly accurate recreation of the Joint Security Area. As of 2015, the [=JSA=] set still stands.
* TakeItToTheBridge: The famed "Bridge of No Return"
* TranslationConvention: The Swiss and Swedish members of the United Nations stationed in Korea speak English instead of Korean or their native language. A Swiss character of Korean nationality speaks English with a heavy Korean accent rather than a Swiss one.