[[quoteright:350:http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/jsabyungka_3413.jpg]] Joint Security Area (JSA) is a film by acclaimed Korean director Creator/ParkChanWook. It centered around an investigation by United Nations officials of a fatal shooting incident that occurred in the Demilitarized Zone between North and South Korea. When released, it was the highest grossing Korean film of all time.
!The film contains examples of:
* ColdWar[=/=]CivilWar[=/=]TheKoreanWar: All still going on the border between the Koreas.
* [[spoiler:ChekhovsGunman: Sung-shik, who is initially another unimportant guard; after attempting suicide, he is revealed to have been sneaking over the boarder too, and to be the second shooter.]]
* [[spoiler:DrivenToSuicide: Both South Korean soldiers: Sung-shik throws himself out of the window when threatened with a lie-detector test; and Soo-hyeok shoots himself after explaining everything.]]
* FauxFluency: The United Nations investigator unraveling the mystery at the DMZ is a Korean actress who obviously learned her English lines phonetically.
** Later versions completely dubbed her lines with a native English speaker.
* ForegoneConclusion: The friendship between the soldiers will end badly.
* FramingDevice: The main story is told in a series of flashbacks as the UN investigator tries to find out the truth about a murder.
* ShownTheirWork: With a highly accurate recreation of the Joint Security Area.
* TakeItToTheBridge: The famed "Bridge of No Return"
* TranslationConvention: The Swiss and Swedish members of the United Nations stationed in Korea speak English instead of Korean or their native language. A Swiss character of Korean nationality speaks English with a heavy Korean accent rather than a Swiss one.