A raucous story of the interweaving lives and loves of small-town delinquents, shady cops, pretty good girls and very bad boys. With Irish guts and grit, lives collide, preconceptions shatter and romance is tested to the extreme. An ill-timed and poorly executed couple's break-up sets off a chain of events affecting everyone in town. There's the hapless romantic and his sex-starved best friend, the hotshot detective and the crook he's after, a young girl on the rebound with an older married man -- not to mention his deserted wife, an ambitious TV producer, an abandoned fiancée, a preteen trouble-maker -- all of whom are unaware of how their choices are profoundly intertwined. Add a botched robbery, some brown sauce, a woman's moustache, flying rocks and dancing single seniors and you have ''interMission.''
!!Tropes exemplified by this work include;
* AllStarCast: Colm Meany, Colin Farrell and Cillian Murphy are the three main leads.
* ArsonMurderAndJaywalking: Jerry Lynch's policing style.
* AttentionWhore: Jerry
* BeardOfSorrow: [[strike:Rare]] possibly ''unique'' female example - Sally, traumatised by an abusive relationship. "She's got a moustache! Whatever she was doing before, waxing, or shaving - she's stopped"
* BeautyInversion: Except for [[ChristmasCake Deirdre [=O'Kane=]]] everybody's pretty scuzzy, and Creator/ShirleyHenderson sports a moustache.
* BrickJoke: The kid who throws a rock at the bus, causing it to crash, does the same thing to the BadBoss in the ending.
** The girl Lehiff decks in the opening scene appears later with a broken nose.
* BrokenBird: Sally
* ChristmasCake: Noeleen
* CowboyCop / OldFashionedCopper / RabidCop: Jerry Lynch
* DoubleStandardAbuseFemaleOnMale: Averted when [[spoiler:Oscar walks out on Noeleen after she gets too rough in bed.]] Then played straight after this steels her to [[spoiler: dish out a NoHoldsBarredBeatdown on her husband, in the middle of his being an accessory to a bank robbery.]] Which is actually funny as hell.
* TheDocumentary: ''On The Streets With Jerry Lynch''
* DrinkOrder: Becomes a plot point. John takes to putting brown sauce ([[SeparatedByACommonLanguage think ketchup with malt vinegar and molasses]]) in his [[SpotOfTea tea]], and when his co-conspirators try it out of morbid curiosity they find it delicious. Later on Lehiff asks his hostage for one, and she realises he must know her ex boyfriend.
* EpicFail: [[spoiler:The bank heist.]]
* EstablishingCharacterMoment: the opening scene, which shows us that Lehiff is charming, [[spoiler:a thief, and not afraid to [[WouldNotHitAGirl Hit A Girl]].]]
* FakeIrish: Deirdre and Sally are played by Scottish actresses Creator/KellyMacdonald and Creator/ShirleyHenderson.
* GoodOldFisticuffs: Jerry's favourite style.
* TheHeist: [[spoiler: So utterly failed that it barely even registers in the plot.]]
* HonorBeforeReason: Jerry puts his gun down before challenging Lehiff to a fistfight. [[RevolversAreJustBetter Lehiff doesn't have this problem]].
* HumiliationConga: Sally. Her ex chained her to a bed, ''took a shit on her'' and left her for several days. No wonder she's so traumatised,
* KingpinInHisGym: Jerry and his punching bag.
* KleptomaniacHero: John, who stole ridiculous amounts of stuff from the supermarket in which he works. One time, he stole an entire crate of brown sauce. When he finds he can't get rid of it quickly enough, he starts putting it in his tea.
* MyNaymeIs: the film is called ''[=interMission=]''. If anyone can figure out how to make that work as a page title, go to it.
* NeverBringAKnifeToAGunFight: Jerry challenges Lehiff to a fistfight at the end, Lehiff accepts before [[CombatPragmatist pulling]] [[RevolversAreJustBetter a revolver]] on him.
* OhCrap: Jerry, when Lehiff pulls a gun on him.
* ParalyzingFearOfSexuality: Sally.
* RealMenWearPink: Jerry: "I'm a thug. Basically my only humanising quality is my love for Celtic Mysticism."
* SexualKarma: [[spoiler:Oscar and Sally, [[TwiceShy the two shy ones]], find each other. John gets his girlfriend back when he admits that he cares about her. Sam gets back together with his wife, who's discovered she can use threats of physical violence to keep him in line.]] All together now - awwww.
* SomethingOnlyTheyWouldSay: tea with ''brown sauce'' is not the world's commonest DrinkOrder.
* SophisticatedAsHell: "That makes you, and I feel no compunction in saying this, a ''whore''"
* TwiceShy: [[spoiler:Sally and Oscar.]]
* VerbalTic: Mr. Henderson is fond of ending his sentences with "as they say in the States".
* WouldNotHitAGirl: Both this and DoubleStandardAbuseFemaleOnMale are [[ZigZaggingTrope zigzagged]] all over the place. First, [[spoiler:in the opening scene, Lehiff is charming a waitress when completely out of the blue he socks her in the jaw and knocks her to the ground.]] Later, John is furious when he treats Dierdre the same way. And on the other hand, Noeleen [[spoiler:hitting Oscar causes him to walk out on her]], but this inspires her to take out her frustration on her husband, which is PlayedForLaughs.